1 tooth off cam timing 1150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 tooth off cam timing 1150?

I got motivated to adjust my valves, it's been about 8-9 thou since the last adjustment. While cranking over the crank to the T mark. I noticed this. Look at the arrow on the intake cam. While the exhaust cam arrow looks flush, the intake looks up slightly. However, the 20 pin count is there, it just doesn't hit the same link shown in the 84 1150 factory manual. The top end hasn't been disturbed since I put a big bore kit in 2001. The exhaust pin above the 2/3 arrow looks right, but not on the intake. I also have a Haynes manual for the 1100, and there's an error in the photo for pin count from one page to the next. Last photo are the notches on the end of the cam relative to the arrows. In the manual shot, the exhaust cam notch looks up slightly. The bike has 93,000 miles on the clock and has been ridden hard this way for the last 10 years. I don't see how I could get the intake cam to hit that pin indicated in the manual without messing up the exhaust which looks right. What do you folks think?

GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Chain stretch maybe? The bike runs ok I take it. Did you replace the timing chain when you did the big bore kit?
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Looks good to me.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The bike runs fine, got me from Washington to Michigan and back, by far the longest road trip I've ever been on. I did not change the cam chain when the kit was installed.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Looks good to me as well, if you are refering to the intake cam arrow pointing to the back link and not the front link, as shown in the manual, don't worry about it, as long as the link count is correct and the arrows point where they should.
          As you said, it has been running like this since 2001.

Comment

DAconover,

I count 20 pins, from arrow to arrow. The arrow at roughly 3:00 oclock on the intake cam, is what seems slightly off. Also the manual shows the intake cam pin arrow on a different link than what I have.

Comment

Agreed. I hate when people provide misinformation. I should have done my homework before posting. Sorry Carter_Turk.

Comment

That's money bro.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sorry CT, I didn't get your message in time.
                  20 pin count is good. 11 years w/o issue.
                  Run it.

Comment

Working...
                  X