Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laverda1200 View Post
    Hi GregT

both crankcase halves fit in my parts washer, but neither fit in my ultrasonic which is only big enough to do carbs in. The crankcases spent a night in my parts washer tank with solvent circulatiing, then got blown out with compressed air, but I didn't think to take the little brass jets out. I'll pull them out and really blow out the passages behind them again.

I am going to take the barrels and head over to my local friendly machine shop and have them "hot tanked" for a few hours, that will get rid of any internal crud in those componenets, and I am going to pull all the engine case block/head retaining studs to clean and polish them, there wasa ton of crud built up around the engine studs impeding oil flow as well, I am determined this engine will not exhibit any head/cam/rocker oiling issues.

I am afraid "hot tanking" the pair of engine cases might well strip the case paint, and I am not inclined to want to repaint them for this cheap and dirty rebuild.... I am only doing essential mechanical systems, engine/brakes/suspension/tires, nothing cosmetic other than a clean up and a cheap $30 new seat cover

Paul
    Mine were just held in with the o-ring, it was an 82, maybe someone modded it or it is a different y ear.
    Hot tanking alu parts like you do a cast iron block is a no-no, my shop uses what they call a parts washer, like a heavy duty dish washer. Most times the paint is still left on, depending on how well it was painted.

Comment

Thank you, Paul.
      You are a gentleman AND a scholar!

Even before any work begins, this engine does sound very sweet. Ya, I got to thinking....the plain bearings sure seem to do their job in my Kawasaki engine. Overall, this bike is in pretty nice shape and I am a bit excitted about it. And....I don't have to buy another tool to set the valves either!!!!! Cool.....

I have an oil pressure tester kit which I use on my VW diesels and gassers. Where, specifically, would I plug into the head to take the pressures as you suggested? That is a very good idea. I would need to install a new oil filter and new good oil before any testing in order to make all of this data useful. Hey, man, I dig hillbilly research....yuk!

Is it OK to dump in some seafoam into the old (present oil) (then run it for a bit) to help clean out the passageways prior to the oil change or will this stuff hurt the clutch plates?
      Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2011, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X