Valve Clearance Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAJOR UPDATE
    So I finally got my shims in the mail (took forever Z1 Enterprises as many know are out of New York.. and the hurricane delayed thing) Replaced 2 of the 3 needing replacement, Exhaust #2, and Intake #3. I still have to order the shim for Intake #2, I was going to swap out the shim that came out of Intake #3 but it was not what I thought was in there. Anyways got everything squared away..

NOW TO THE GOOD PART Bike is running SMOOTH throughout the rpm range(no I don't red line all the time), before like I noted at about 5k rpm it wanted to get loud and not function at optimum performance levels.

BAD PART.. It is still backfiring, maybe more then it was before, also stripped the #3 spark plug hole but managed to get it back in correctly, I'm going to replace the shim on order, and might take apart the carbs....again...

**Could a broken needle jet (fuel mixture screw) just the tips from screwing in too far cause backfire? My carbs still synched fine. Regardless I don't think I'm too worried about it since the bike is running beautifully. I changed my oil while I was bored waiting for the parts as well.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2011, 03:31 AM. Reason: not, not now

Comment

With respect to backfire the Dynojet instructions are quite clear:
      1) verify there are no vacuum leaks (on the inlet side)
      2) verify there are no exhaust flange gaskets leaking ( most common issue)
      3) if those things check out, try turning the mixture screw out 1/2 turn, making sure you have a good stock idle.

Hope this helps?

By the way what's the exhaust on your bike?
      It looks like a CBR 900 RR?
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 78gs1000 View Post
        Ok BassCliff to answer your questions, Do you have the stock ignition? No I have aftermarket. ** Is the spark advance working properly? Yes, i am getting a fluent reading of power from the spark plug and coming out of the ignition, spark advance. ** Do the coils spec out? What exactly do you mean spec out? They are giving an accurate power reading. Have you tried installing new points and condensers? No I haven't but the ones I have are tested power wise to be functioning. ** Have you insured the points are clean and properly gapped? You mean spark plug gaps? They are all within range.
        I don't understand your answers here

Do you have a Dyna S electronic ignition?

Some other points set up?

Did you check the advance mechanism with a timing light? Manually?

Did you use a VOM and test your coils to make sure they meet specifications?

Do you know what points and condensors are? How could you have aftermarket ignition and points?

The symptoms you describe could be ignition, but most likely bad jetting or air leaks in the intake system.

What size jets are in your carbs??
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
          By the way what's the exhaust on your bike?
          It looks like a CBR 900 RR?
          The problem ended up being my my valve clearances entirely, just letting yall know, and John, I was told by the guy I got it from it was from an early model GSXR. But after looking upt he cbr900rr it does look VERY similar too it! Thanks for that heads up that bike has a 4 bolt flange like mine, I can easily find an adaptable exhaust system now

Comment

Working...
          X