Broken valve cover bolt seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken valve cover bolt seat

So this weekend I did a valve adjustment (the engine was ticking pretty good). I put the valve cover back on and was torqueing down the last bolt. It started to get tight and then suddenly got loose. After that it wouldnt torque down. It threads to where is feels like its going to tighten down and then just gets looser again and keeps on spinning. The bike is now leaking oil because of it.

Is there any way to remedy this without changing out the head?

Just an idea, but you could try to put a washer or maybe even have to use a few right under the bolt. That way you don't have to go as low, but still get the same job done

Comment

You already pulled the threads out. You need to remove the bolt & install a Helicoil or Timesert. I like Helicoils & never have trouble with them. You most likely need a 6mm x 1.0 size kit. Ray.

Comment

I'm with Ray on a helicoil repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
          I'm with Ray on a helicoil repair.

I'll 3rd that.

I hope it's a hole more to the left or right of the motor and not in the middle? Access would be better. Be a shame to have to remove the head. Make sure you keep the metal shavings from falling in!

Mark

Comment

Timesert or helicoil. Follow the instructions and tape a close fitting rag around the area to prevent the metal chips from the repair process from falling in the motor.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I think those bolts are an odd size ...m5.5? the larger engines are m7. thread ininsert is the way to go. The helicoils require less material removal and are more readily available than wurth timesert. but it is an uncommon thread so you will have to order the insert kit anyway.
              The cam cover bolts thread into the cam bearing caps, so you can remove the caps and install the thread insert at the bench.
              I only remove ONE at any time, pay attention to their orientation.
              Last edited by derwood; 09-01-2011, 12:06 AM.
              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Can a cam cap go either way ?

Comment

The experts all agree, when in doubt, use RTV!

Comment

Hey Guys, i finally decided to get working on this issue. I couldnt find any heli coil kits so I'm buying it all seperatley. I Already found the helicoils, but I havent been able to find out what size I need to drill it out to or what size I need to tap the whole to the fit the heli coil.

The bolt size is M7 - 1.0.

Any insight on this would be helpful. Want to get the bike out there on the couple of nice Washington days I have left.

Comment

I have that Helicoil kit & you can get it at any Napa auto parts store. Ray.

Comment

I tried napa and they didn't have any and said that couldn't order them either. All they could get me was a pack of just the coils.

Comment

Someone at Napa is lying to you. Go back & ask for a manager. If you were down here I would fix it for you. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                          X