very SLOW, rythmic whir/click at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very SLOW, rythmic whir/click at idle

My 82 650L makes a fairly loud whirr/click at idle and it seems to repeat every 1 to 1 1/2 seconds at slow idle. it is very rythmic and increases with RPM but dissapears at approx 2500 and above. it doesn't sound like its from the head (cam end float) but rather primary or lower?? it does not change with clutch pulled in or released. same in neutral OR in gear.
    The bike had sat since 96 and is pretty clean.. had oil in it etc. I redid the carbs and it starts immediately and no smoke no leaks. runs excellent. If I were deaf, ther'd be no other problem. it's almost like a chain is going around with a bad spot on it and it makes the sound at that interval. but it is very very regular, and very slow.. no sooner than a second apart and more like 1 1/2 or maybe 2 seconds at a slow nice idle.
    If anyone has an idea.. let me know. or I may try to post the sound.. thanks in advance.

Remove and clean your cam chain adjuster and see if that cures it.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      Remove and clean your cam chain adjuster and see if that cures it.

Daniel
      Yes, good idea, but wait till barnbiketom finds out he needs to remove carbs again (he said he "redid" them) to get at the tensioner!

barnbiketom: make you you read up on correct way to remove AND reinstall tensioner. It's worth the time, since this bike is running excellent and you'd probably like to keep it that way.

Added; you might find that PO failed to unlock the lock screw on sliding shaft, so tensioner has been unable to push out against chain. The knob spring won't tell you. From left side, unlock lock nut on tensioner and then see if you can turn screw in (against sliding shaft)- if it doesn't turn in maybe 1/2 to 1 turn, then it's probably already locking shaft. If so, back off this screw slightly- maybe you'll get lucky and the sliding shaft will now push out against chain slack.(don't forget to use lock nut to hold screw away from shaft)
      Last edited by tom203; 08-31-2011, 07:12 AM. Reason: further thought
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I was anxious

Anxious to hear it run and i didn't adjust the tensioner.. . Yes I cleaned the carbs Ultrasonically..
        I just got 175 watt cleaner. I chem dipped them after stripping them, then used the Ultrasonic Cleaner (UC). this is my first baseline test!! It seems to really get into the drilled passageways and CLEAN. I used a mix of harbor freight degreaser and water 50/50.
        Now i do see that you need to remove the carbs to take off the tensioner.. I'l post my findings later today.

Comment

another pic of the cleaned carbs.. i installed all new o-rings from mr Barr..

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
            another pic of the cleaned carbs.. i installed all new o-rings from mr Barr..
            Looking at that carb mount You may want to think about investing in a set of those before to long. Once they start to separate like that in the photo it does not take long for them to start leaking. Just saying
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
              Looking at that carb mount You may want to think about investing in a set of those before to long. Once they start to separate like that in the photo it does not take long for them to start leaking. Just saying
              YES and thanks for noticin. This bike sat since like 96 and the story behind it was, well , suffice to say confusing hahah. The clutch was adjusted so tightly i figure it was slipping, both brake masters were empty and disconnected. ( I rebuilt all) the PO said he never got it running after his buddy "fixed" the carbs" hahah. I ws astounded to see NO DAMAGE to the carbs, so he must have 'cleaned' them you know..probably the outsides haha
              As far as the intake mounts, I installed new o-rings .the old ones were ok but slightly hard. I know right on some of the flanges the paint/powder coat is coming off, but on examination, the rubber is very flexible and no cracking, but I know what the symptoms are.. if my idle changes or i get drivability.. thats the first place i'll go. I really wanted to hear it run and evaluate it from there.. it relly runs nice and no smoke, runs right up to speed like a new showroom bike if not better..and it charges great (surprise!!)
              I need to address the steering head bearing slop, Thanks for the tip!!
              Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X