Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been a long time: chain vs. shaft

Beware of what you post on the Net, it may come back to haunt you:
    Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

I was at his home recently. He had 4 bikes; 2 shafts, 2 chains. 1 shaft was for sale.
    Any questions?
    Please note, this is merely a blatant attempt to refuel an age-old feud. I am comfortable in my own skin, and I agree with each GSR member's personal decision.
    Peace.
    Oh, and Brian, you are welcome.

Other members, please do not let him know that his 850 is the most dialed-in bike I have ever ridden. Ever. He will get the big head and I will no longer be allowed wrench time in his shop. So shush.

Chain for speed and adjustability.
    Shaft for cruising at moderate speeds.

Daniel

Comment

Real motorbikes have air cooling , carbs , black frames and CHAINS .

I spit on your shafts .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

I say get two of each...
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          Shaft for cruising at moderate speeds.

Daniel
          Moderate...

What is moderate speed...and why are shaft limited...

(Note: I like chains myself, but my K1100 has a shaft and we cruise all day at 85-90mph...is that moderate?)
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thirty years riding and I have yet to own a shaft drive bike.Agree real bikes are driven by chains.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2011, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Lets not beat up on the shafty's.
              Shafty's have plenty of good points , hold on let me think ................ oh yeah, it's easier to keep that area around the rear wheel and the wheel clean, and....................they don't require adjustment, and............. well, they normally have bigger gas tanks . I guess that's all I can think of .
              Chains on the other hand can be messy, leaving all that gear lube on the chain guard, swing arm, sprockets, and wheel. This helps protect that area it covers from rust from exposure to salty roads in spring among other things, and this lube can be cleaned off exposing a like new finish . You got to like that! Chains are lighter, less unsprung weight on the rear wheel, that's got to help the suspension in some way, maybe even the handling, especially in a bumpy turn. Chains do require frequent adjustment, I try to adjust mine about every 6 months or so, and put a little 90 weight gear oil on them every 500 miles. Chains lose less horsepower to the rear wheel . More power to ya, baby!
              And although I can't speak from experience, I have read that shaft drive models exhibit torque problems when accelerating and slowing down, tend to make the bike pull to the right or left depending whether you're speeding up or slowing down .
              I guess that's why shafties are more suited for touring, long straight roads at steady speeds and the chain drives are pretty much suited for everything .
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                Moderate...

What is moderate speed...and why are shaft limited...

(Note: I like chains myself, but my K1100 has a shaft and we cruise all day at 85-90mph...is that moderate?)
                We are speaking about GS SUZUKI shaft bikes, right? This IS a GS Suzuki forum and all that.
                With the limited final drives that are available for our SUZUKI GS's, moderate is 75 mph. (about 6,000 rpm)

On my HONDA V-65 Sabre shafty, 100 mph was moderate.
                (But that is for a different forum.)

Daniel
                Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2011, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  And although I can't speak from experience, I have read that shaft drive models exhibit torque problems when accelerating and slowing down, tend to make the bike pull to the right or left depending whether you're speeding up or slowing down .
                  Never noticed that issue before and I've been really aggressive at doing both from time to time. even had the front off the ground a time or two...
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    We are speaking about GS SUZUKI shaft bikes, right?
                    Wrong...

We are talking about shaft vs. chain...from the first post:
                    Beware of what you post on the Net, it may come back to haunt you:
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...21&postcount=5
                    I was at his home recently. He had 4 bikes; 2 shafts, 2 chains. 1 shaft was for sale.
                    I believe only one of the 5 bikes mentions is a GS Suzuki...

Back on topic...

Now even though I do prefer chains...
                    A shaft bike with a single sided swing arm sure makes it easy to remove the wheel...

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      Never noticed that issue before and I've been really aggressive at doing both from time to time. even had the front off the ground a time or two...
                      Believe I read that on a '78 Yamaha XS1100 test article.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                        Believe I read that on a '78 Yamaha XS1100 test article.
                        *ahem* A poor implementation of a design is not an indictment of the design itself. I've never had that ill behaivior from my shaft drive GS.

Save your chains for the bedroom, OK?
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I prefer a belt.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                            I prefer a belt.
                            And I prefer suspenders.

Were talking about shaft's and chains here, don't try and enter a 3rd variable into the equation. It may confuse some.

I was riding with my friend on his flashy new ZX6R. While riding next to him I heard this noise. It was horrible. Sounded all whiney and stressed. Not a good noise. I asked him about it, and he said that was the chain. And it was normal.

I like my shaft. Never had any complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                              I like my shaft. Never had any complaints.
                              We all say that...

Comment

Working...
                              X