Clutch HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch HELP!

After replacing my clutch case cover my clutch no longer engages. The clutch release rack can move freely in and out about 1/4 of an inch and the clutch release pinion can rotate freely in the cover. Should there be some resistance in the release rack or shoudl it move freely. I shifted in to first and stalled right away when the clutch lever was pulled in all the way. There is no resistance and the clutch lever does not return when released.

Did you adjust it per the factory manual procedures and like we've talked alot about here?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

yeah i am using the Clymers

Comment

Clymers doesnt seem to explane it too much. I searched around but the threads that seem to be related to me havent been solved yet :S

Comment

Although I'm not familiar with the 850s, I'll go take a quick look.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Thanks cowboy. When it is installed i can pull the clutch in all the way with out resistance and i dont think there should be that much free play with it.

Comment

Your gears aren't meshed from clutch and cover.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Okay, service manual is taking too long for me to download. You might do well to get it from Basscliff's site if you don't already have it and read through it. It will provide better info than the Clymers sometimes. Of course, I'd also check and make sure everything is connected the correct way and make sure your cable is still good.

EDIT: And since Chef posted before me, listen to him first over anything I would say.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I checked it out and the gears are meshed. the clutch won't engage when I change the position of the pinion. It won't let me squeeze the lever at all

Comment

Is it possible that my clutch is seized in the disengaged position since it does of seem to budge when pulling on the lever?

Comment

Sounds like you need to pull the lever off the splines pre tension the rack and push it back on. Chances are you will have to adjust the cable to its slackest first so you are not struggling trying to get it back on.

There is only a small amount of movement in the lever and if you have put the pinion back in a different position on the rack it has no chance of working.
                      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by PoppaDre View Post
                        Is it possible that my clutch is seized in the disengaged position since it does of seem to budge when pulling on the lever?
                        Certainly it is possible, but it is also improbable. On that type of clutch actuation it is more probable that the lever position is not correct, as tatu suggests.
                        Pull the lever, then rotate it counterclockwise a couple of teeth. This is your coarse adjustment. Reinstall the lever at its new position and try again. Once you start to feel resistance, use the adjustment in the cable on the clutch cover to get close. Once you are close, use the adjustment on the bars to fine tune it.

Comment

Working...
                        X