Setting cams timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    Don.. I did all that as you mentioned.. Where its at now is as follows.. Number 1 is at TDC, the timing mark on the Martek housing is lined up with the mark on the timing plate, the arrows are all as indicated for each ones positions as shown in the service manual, and there are 20 pins between 2 and 3 arrows. I talked to Dale on the phone this AM and he feels the same way. As this was my first experience with such a situation, we are pretty sure I got it all right. Soon as i get the needed shims for tha valve adjustment i will install them and cycle the engine ropund with a ratchet to be sure that no valves or anything else hits or binds. It should be all good to go back in at that point.
    Well done Chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      ..., and there are 20 pins between 2 and 3 arrows. ...
      Are you including the pins over the 2 and 3 marks?

You keep saying "there are 20 pins BETWEEN the marks", but that 20-pin count is supposed to include the ones over the marks, so technically, there should only be 18 pins BETWEEN them.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

As per the factory service manual, you start at the pin the number 2 arrow points to and count to the one the number 3 points at..thus you have 20 pins. This is as its stated how to do it in the manual.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You probably have it close enough for valves to not hit pistons, but if you are off by a tooth or two it will run like crap. A piston stop and a degree wheel is the only way of getting exact tdc as the piston hangs at bdc and tdc for quite a few degrees. For a piston stop I just use a long bolt with the same threads as my spark plugs.

Comment

Working...
          X