Rusty cylinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty cylinders?

Disclaimer: I did use the search function but couldn't find the right thread, I guess.

I bought my GS550 a year ago and have been working on a variety of issues, from electrics to cosmetics. I never ran the engine for more than a few minutes at a time. It's been sitting for about ten months with rags stuffed in the intakes and exhaust, in a non-climate controlled garage.

I hooked up the starter yesterday and heard a loud shrieking at the engine turned over. I quickly stopped. Assuming the cylinders have some corrosion in them, I poured oil into the spark plug holes. It's been sitting like that for a day.

How screwed am I? Should I assume the rings will need to be replaced and cylinders honed? The engine has oil in it, but I should have (and didn't) fog the cylinders. Last time I make that mistake!

After sitting with oil in cylinders, spin it again. Lots of stuff can dry out somewhat, but once oil gets thrown around again, it should be ok.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You might try giving the engine a few turn by hand first to feel out any kinks or snags.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Should the oil eventually drain through if I let it sit for a couple days? I poured in a small amount of motor oil.

Comment

Not a good idea to run the engine for just a few minutes and then leaving it for long periods.
          Condensation will build up inside the cases causing early bearing failure and stuff. If you start it, run it up to temp, then switch off the fuel and let the carbs run dry. That way you'll boil away any condensate and run the passageways and jets clear.

Comment

Working...
          X