Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs550 1 cylinder dead

Hello Everyone

This is my first post, I have used the search function but cant find any info on my situation. I've got a 1981 gs550t That I have pods and and exhaust on. Everything is jetted correctly(Ithink) The carbs have been cleaned the valves have been checked 4 times new boot rings. My issue is that I have a dead #2 cylinder. At idle it wont come on at all but I am just about positive that anything over 2500 RPM it comes on bc the power is there.(I no what 3 cylinders feels like when going down the road) My question is whats going on!!!! I have a good spark when I take out the plug and look at it whlie grounding it you can see a strong spark. I NEED HELP!!!

Have you synced the carbs with a manometer ? If not, I would suggest doing so.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

actually I have I also might add that I have a hanging idle like it will hold 2000 rom for like a second than drop sometimes it will just stay at 2000 RPM the only thing I can think of is a spark plug wire or the coild thoughts?

Comment

any thoughts from anyone???

Comment

Originally posted by cafe1253 View Post
          Hello Everyone

This is my first post, I have used the search function but cant find any info on my situation. I've got a 1981 gs550t That I have pods and and exhaust on. Everything is jetted correctly(Ithink) The carbs have been cleaned the valves have been checked 4 times new boot rings. My issue is that I have a dead #2 cylinder. At idle it wont come on at all but I am just about positive that anything over 2500 RPM it comes on bc the power is there.(I no what 3 cylinders feels like when going down the road) My question is whats going on!!!! I have a good spark when I take out the plug and look at it whlie grounding it you can see a strong spark. I NEED HELP!!!

I had a very similar situation with my bike. Pipe was cold at idle and would fire at higher RPM's. It turned out to be that the internal passage from the pilot circuit were clogged even after being dipped. The NAPA dip I was using didn't cut it, so much for the low VOC stuff! 24 hours in a fresh can of Berrymans cleaned it up. I was able to find the clog by spraying carb cleaner into the pilot air jet port on a functioning carb and watched it come out the little ports under the butterfly and the compared it to the non-functioning carb where it only trickled out. BTW carbs are BS34's but I would imagine other types are set up very similar too. Good luck.

edit: I originally thought I had a syncing problem like Larry suggested and had checked that first.

-Dave
          82 GS1100E
          five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
          Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Yep - either that carb is badly out of synch or there's a blockage in the pilot circuit somewhere. The latter will give you the hanging idle as well. You have to be meticulous when cleaning these carbs.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. cafe1253,

Go through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". Skipping steps or taking shortcuts will leave you frustrated. See the guides on my little website for the proper way to clean your carbs, fix the air intake system, check and repair the charging and ignitions systems, etc.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X