Valve shim is smaller diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve shim is smaller diameter

No dealer had the 2.60 valve shim I needed. So I ended up using an after market shim. It is noticeably smaller in diameter. I'm guessing about 1mm. I measured my factory shim, and it was 29.47. When I pointed out the difference to the guy, he said all they sell is 20mm,,,I think.

So to the point. I now have a pretty good rattle there. Could the smaller shim be the cause, slopping around in the bucket. Or do I just have a loose clearance. Is it worth tearing back into. Thanks.

It's a smaller diameter shim for the Kawasaki engines. Get it out of your engine before very expensive things get broken.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      It's a smaller diameter shim for the Kawasaki engines. Get it out of your engine before very expensive things get broken.

Thank you Sir. I thought something wasn't right with that much noise. I rode it about 5 mile's. I hope I didn't hurt anything.

Comment

If it didn't go, "Snap, Crackle and POP" followed by a very loud silence you probably got away with it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That's a kawasaki shim, and it's 29mm diameter as opposed to the 29.5mm suzuki ones.
          I rode with one of them for about 6000 miles and it didn't hurt anything, maybe I was lucky.
          It'd probly be better to swap it out rather than risk it being spat out and causing extensive damage.

Comment

Same thing happened to me but the other way around. Cursing and wondering why this shim just would not fit in my Kawisaki.

Comment

Well I just pulled it all back apart. The Suzuki dealer also gave me some that was smaller. I have a total of 3 that I'm going to change. Now I just have to drive a hour to get them.

Comment

Yet another reason to never trust a dealer.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well I went after a 2.60 shim. The dealer says he has one. I get there, and it's a 2.60x,,,meaning it's bigger. It measures out at 2.63. I can't get my .04mm gauge in there, but the shim spins. I had a 2.60 that was the too small in diameter in there, and had .06mm clearance. Perfect. So I figure I have .03 now. But this is kinda guessing. Also, this is an exhaust valve, which I've read is better to run loose than tight. And all the rest of my valve's are in the .06-.08 range.

Is it worth the effort to drive 60 miles to get the right shim. What I'm worried about is that one valve needing adjusted before all the rest.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

In theory if everything has been measured accurately you should have .03mm clearance - but you can't check it as the thinnest feeler gauge you have is .04mm.

Up to you - but do you want to risk running with what is theoretically a safe clearance or an actually measured safe clearance. I would do the latter. You could buy a .03mm feeler gauge of course.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

join the shim club.
                      I just sent him two 2.60 shims. (one was 2.58 maybe) and I know they work in a Suzuki cause I just pulled them out of one

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.

Comment

I knew the not knowing exactly what I had in there would drive me nuts. So I took the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Cal View Post
                          I knew the not knowing exactly what I had in there would drive me nuts. So I took the drive.
                          Good decision. Its always better to do what ever it takes to do it right, because if you don't, you will never rest easy.

Earl
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                          X