Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I replace oil filter studs on GS1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a Valium...It was in jest...you know the engineers always take the hits!!!! Man people here just dont have any sense of humor anymore.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just had one of these studs break on me.

I had to drill the screw out, and the remaining threads STILL refused to budge!
      (I literally tried a combo of everything)

Now I have to re-thread the stud holes in the block, and I'm just going with standard bolts, no studs.
      (I can't stand that 6mm design, it's just asking for trouble.)

Comment

How did it break?

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
        I just had one of these studs break on me.

I had to drill the screw out, and the remaining threads STILL refused to budge!

Now I have to re-thread the stud holes in the block, and I'm just going with standard bolts, no studs.
        (I can't stand that 6mm design, it's just asking for trouble.)

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Take a Valium...It was in jest...you know the engineers always take the hits!!!! Man people here just dont have any sense of humor anymore.
          I know it was, so was mine. And yes, Dan, if it is 1 cent cheaper to put that part there, we are forced to. And it is also the bean counters who force us to use what we consider inferior parts because we can save 3.5 cents a box. The real problem is that they answer to the stockholders who demand the highest profit instead of the highest quality. But we live with it and life goes on.

Comment

Good thing is that theres plenty of cast in that area. You can go to a standard 1/4-20 and drill the cover holes a bit larger...
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Good thing is that theres plenty of cast in that area. You can go to a standard 1/4-20 and drill the cover holes a bit larger...
              That is a great idea

Comment

That was intended toward the guy with the broken stud already. If yours comes out just use the OEM replacement. No need to fiddle with whats not already broke kinda theory.

Comment

That was intended toward the guy with the broken stud already. If yours comes out just use the OEM replacement. No need to fiddle with whats not already broke kinda theory.

Yeah i'm sticking with stock: already ordered the studs

Comment

Did you get the other ones out already?? what method did you use?

Comment

Did you get the other ones out already?? what method did you use?
                      Nope, I went ahead and ordered them, and later came to the forum to ask how to change them becasue I heard previously they could come out but was not sure if I had the skills. So I will try the vise-grip method and hope for the best!

Comment

Just use steady even torque and dont rushn things..feel it out as your doing them. If they begin to bind then do the run them in and then back them out thing..sometime working them back and forth helps free them up in the theads..some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil will be of good use too.

Comment

The stud actually broke after I welded a nut to it, and "finally" got a nice grip on it.

The stud was very rusty, and I could just "tell" it was gonna be one of those problem-bolts.

Gonna get home tonite and decide which size to tap for.
                          Can't really go too large because the filter cover Holes are very close to the edge already.

I'll take some quick measurements at least.

Comment

Did you let the weld cool naturally or quench it with a wet rag? Quenching will instantly make it weak. Best is to just let it cool naturally before trying the wrench on them.

Comment

Alright guys, I just re-tapped it for 6mm.
                              Somehow I managed to catch some good threads in there.

It's not exactly pretty, but that stud is nice and tight now.
                              (put some rtv in there just to make sure it doesn't corrode again!)

Didn't mean to hi-Jack the thread or anything.

But to Chuck: Yes I did let the bolt cool down after welding it.

Comment

No hijack problem here - let's keep this going with tips and techniques!

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                                Alright guys, I just re-tapped it for 6mm.
                                Somehow I managed to catch some good threads in there.

It's not exactly pretty, but that stud is nice and tight now.
                                (put some rtv in there just to make sure it doesn't corrode again!)

Didn't mean to hi-Jack the thread or anything.

But to Chuck: Yes I did let the bolt cool down after welding it.

Comment

Working...
                                X