Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 gs550 Head (Or other 4 valve) on 1980 cylinder

Can I do that?
    Dont want to buy one just to find out it doesnt fit.

I would say "NO". Although anything can be accomplished if you have a big enough machine shop and great skill.

As a starter both engines have different cam chains, sprockets and no doubt lobe heights as well. One head uses rocker arms, the other does not. Also cam chain guides are different.

Also you would need to fit those damn blasted double barrel carbs into the frame somehow.

Others might know more.

Comment

Originally posted by 240punk View Post
      Can I do that?
      Dont want to buy one just to find out it doesnt fit.
      What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
      Is your existing head no good? Is it missing?
      Trying to get more power?
      Just like to tinker?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

After writing a page response I changed my mind. Unless it bolts right on it's not worth the effort. I'm building a bike for top speed so want to squeeze out as much as I can from 600cc so starting with a 4 valve head would just be adventagous when compared to porting my 2 valve head. I just assumed the cam chain would be the same size. I also prefer rocker arms. I guess I'll be welding up my cam and porting the head and see what the 2 valve can do.

My goal is 140 mph with no aero.

Comment

Originally posted by 240punk View Post
          After writing a page response I changed my mind. Unless it bolts right on it's not worth the effort. I'm building a bike for top speed so want to squeeze out as much as I can from 600cc so starting with a 4 valve head would just be adventagous when compared to porting my 2 valve head. I just assumed the cam chain would be the same size. I also prefer rocker arms. I guess I'll be welding up my cam and porting the head and see what the 2 valve can do.

My goal is 140 mph with no aero.
          Go with 650 cylinders, head and carbs if you want to make REAL horse power out of the 550 motor.

Comment

Working...
          X