Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS550E split cases?

Hi folks!

I need to split the cases on this GS550. Pulled the head, cylinders, stator & rotor, ignition, clutch basket innards. Removed oil pan and removed all hidden bolts down indside. Found & removed the two sort of hidden 12mm case bolts on bottom under cylinders. Removed that tin bracket that spans cases & seal at output shaft, found the small bolt by output shaft. Removed the two thru bolts on top of cases. Can't find any other hidden bolts.

Cases won't split, even with a lot of pressure. I can get separation on stator side, but clutch side doesn't want to budge. Can't pull clutch basket & primary gear underneath due to design limitations. Acts like something behind clutch is still holding things together.

Somewhere there's a bolt or spanner piece I missed, apparently on clutch side of cases, no clue where it could be. Suggestions?

I searched archives, couldn't fnd a thing.

Thanks!

I found the answer I think, but glad I posted this anyway. Now it will come up in a search for the next guy splitting GS550 cases. They're similar to GS1000.

I had pulled the bolts on clutch pack frictions & steels. Bent back tab & removed clutch basket nut. Looked like a dead end, because clutch basket & primary gear won't clear case on right side.

From the first linked page: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=183739

I found that the clutch center slips right out if you thread a couple of screws in the clutch center & pull it out. This allows removal of clutch basket & gear, plus a complicated stack of bearings & thrust washer etc. revealing the far more complicated kick start assembly. Who dreams this stuff up?

Within the mechanics of that assembly is a bracket that spans both cases, top & bottom, which was still holding things together. I'll take some pics before disassembly of that kicker mechanism and then see if cases will spilt.

There was another link on the linked page above, a most excellent step X step of a GS1000 build with great pics, thanks for that Srsupertrap!! Gorgeous bike, one fine build!!! Beautiful, congratulations.

The GS550 kicker assembly looks far more complicated than his GS1000 kicker shown here:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

So, tomorrow I'll carry on but will be back if it doesn't work. I should have noted more carefully where parts fit when removing clutch bearings etc. so a word to the wise, go slow, take pics!!

For now, thanks anyway folks!
    Vantage

Comment

Working...
    X