Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 slow cranking issue (odd)

So...
    I have a yamaha warrior quad with a 1979 GS1000 engine in it. This is a quad that I traded for about a year ago. When I got it I immediately noticed that the starter turned the engine over slowly. I thought "it must be a battery or connection issue". It always started and runs well so I really never got around to diagnosing it.

Well, yesterday I brought it out of the shop for the first time in almost a year and did some cleanup on it (wiring, carb cleaning etc...), and I remembered the slow turnover issue. So I checked all connections and wiring and all is good. This quad uses a full size car battery (800 CCA and brand new) so it has MORE than enough juice to really wing the starter if everything is good. Even with a full 100% charge the starter still turns the motor over slowly. So I removed the starter from another GS1000 (known good) and swapped it in and ... same thing

So what I was wondering is:

Is there any way that the timing could be advanced enough to cause a slow cranking issue??? If not, what else could it be? Not sure where to start here as all wiring is good, starter is good, battery is good... you get the idea. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

Take the starter out, either grip it VERY tightly or clamp it down, apply 12 volts to it with jumper cables.
    You might just find that it's the starter, not anything else.

Check out THIS POST from a couple months ago. Be sure to click on the picture to watch the video.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

Check out your starter clutch.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Disconnect the coils, remove and ground the plug wires or otherwise disable the ignition. Then crank the engine. If is still cranks slowly the cause cannot be over advanced timing.

Comment

OK... So I disconnected the coils and it cranked smoother. I removed the points cover and the plate is turned as far as it can go clockwise (screw heads are at the far left of the slots). The engine runs well, just starts extremely hard (hard cranking).

Comment

Since it has contact points, checking base ignition timing is a simple matter requiring a test light or volt meter. It can be done with a small light bulb and socket or a 12 volt buzzer. Any means of indicating when the points just open.

I assume that you know how to do the check as it is shown in almost every manual although I admit not to having needed to look for 50+ years.

If you need an explanation, just advise and I will walk you through unless someone beats me to the draw.

Comment

Hi,

Points Timing

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

Points Timing

BassCliff

FYI - the points timing link is dead ....

....and couldnt find it on http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                80 gs1000s

Comment

You can also use a piece of cellophane to tell you when the points are opening, just put a strip of it in between the points, pull on it slightly, turn the engine very slowly. When the cellophane pulls out the points are open. Close enough for motorcycle work.

If you have used two starters, they won't both be bad.. At least not in exactly the same way.

Cranking slowly, a big engine in a customized application... How is the starter grounded, what is the return path to the battery? A ground cable? Just the engine bolted to the frame? The return path needs to handle the same current as the power lead to the starter. Use a big fat ground cable if there is not one.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Check your starter relay, a bad connection can hide within.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                      FYI - the points timing link is dead ....

....and couldnt find it on http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                      Fixed it. Thanks.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X