Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Just curious, which model/year is this?
    The frame/ crankcase is from a 78' gs 550 block and head are from a 81 650, (673cc) the cylinders were honed so we dubbed this bike gs674

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Ohh man...that reminded me of that comedian that had the bit about hot pockets...can't remember his name for the life of me. Big nearly albino looking guy...

Oh yeah! Jim Gaf*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$an or something like that.. The bit was hysterical. You tube it.

Hooooootttt pockettttss
      Here ya go ... Jim Gaffigan - Beyond the Pale - Hot Pockets

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just got done removing my starter gear and clutch. All I can say is WOW! what a pig that starter clutch is. The weight savings is pretty dramatic on the crank with all of that gone. The only next step would be to get some custom crank work done to pull the magnet closer into the engine and shrink down the stator case. i'm going to try and get a weight of the total removal but i know it's pretty good when you do the whole deal (starter, wiring, solenoid, switch, starter clutch and gears along with being able to go to a smaller capacity battery). I'd have to guess at roughly 25 lbs when you add all of it together.
        1978 GS550 E
        673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
        New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
        for playing in the dirt

Comment

How will you go about shrinking the stator case? I ordered the flywheel tool to pull mine, it should be in in a few days

Comment

Originally posted by ashdricky View Post
            How will you go about shrinking the stator case? I ordered the flywheel tool to pull mine, it should be in in a few days

My thought was since all the starter clutch parts are gone, have the crank machined with the taper closer to the engine and most likely have to tap more threads into it. If it is possible it would bring in the charging system approx. 1 1/2" - 2". This would allow brining in the side cover and stator the same 2".
            1978 GS550 E
            673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
            New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
            for playing in the dirt

Comment

I admire your courage and dedication to our old machines, that is some serious work your talking about! cant wait to see it

Comment

Originally posted by ashdricky View Post
                I admire your courage and dedication to our old machines, that is some serious work your talking about! cant wait to see it

Thanks man. I just picked up another 550 so I'll have a second engine to start a build and hopefully be able to do the crank setup and some other cool mods. Looking to hit 90 crank HP give or take. or 100+ with turbo. I would say if I break the 100hp mark on an air cooled 650 topend I'll be extremely satisfied.
                1978 GS550 E
                673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                for playing in the dirt

Comment

Working...
                X