Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 gs550l cam timing waaaaaay off...how do I set my timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs550l cam timing waaaaaay off...how do I set my timing?

Wow! So i looked at the forums and my bike is so out of timing I don't know how its running! can I get advice on how to set my timing and if my pics show that its out of whack?
    These pics are at tdc

Can't see your pictures while I am at work, so I can't see what you are trying to show.

Have you tried following the procedure in the manual?

It's not all that hard.

- Remove the carbs, cam chain tensioner and the ignition cover on the right end of the crank.
    - Turn the crank until the T 1-4 mark shows in the little window.
    - Remove the intake cam
    - Remove the exhaust cam
    - (This would be a GREAT time to inventory all your shims to see what you have in there)
    - Put the exhaust cam back in, with the "1" mark pointing forward to the edge of the head.
    - Install the cam covers (bearings) to hold the exhaust cam into place.
    - Refer to your manual, count the proper number of pins between the "2" on the exhaust cam and the "3" mark on the intake cam.
    - Install the cam covers to hold the intake cam into place
    - Verify your pin count
    - Install the cam chain tensioner
    - Install the carbs
    - Verify your valve clearances
    - Install gasket and cylinder head cover
    - Finish assembling the bike, go for a ride.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You have the cams 180* out of position. Try rotating the engine clockwise one full turn, then the cams will be pointing properly so you can check timing. My guess is the timing is fine.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, this.

These GS motors run a "wasted spark" system. The plugs fire just before TDC on both compression and exhaust strokes. The cams turn once for TWO turns of the crank (like a 4-stroke cycle motors).

Get the cams into/near position and check the ignition timing marks. Note also there are TWO sets of marks: 1-4 and 2-3. You need to make sure you're looking at the 1-4 ones.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        You have the cams 180* out of position. Try rotating the engine clockwise one full turn, then the cams will be pointing properly so you can check timing. My guess is the timing is fine.

Comment

Ok so I need to put the 1-4 at tdc mark and at that point my exhaaust cam needs to be pointing straight up?

Comment

And about the shims...a .0015 feeler wouldnt fit soooo yea way to tight.

Comment

and how many pins is it on a 1982 550l 19 or 20?

Comment

Originally posted by Defore View Post
                and how many pins is it on a 1982 550l 19 or 20?
                I don't remember- 19 sounds good till others correct me! But remember that the pin right over mark#2 is number 1 pin ,etc.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  I don't remember- 19 sounds good till others correct me! But remember that the pin right over mark#2 is number 1 pin ,etc.
                  Or 20... See attached

Comment

And once you unbolt and pull the cam how do you get the cam back in the original spot...I just broke. Off 2 bolts trying to resend install the cam...

Comment

Was your timing off? You didn't need to remove the cams to have another look and verify. Better to look before you leap. Someone probably has those cam cap bolts you need.

Using large locking pliers can help you hold them down, though it's probably not going to get you all the way there. You'll need to tighten down the cam cap bolts evenly.

Comment

I have spare cam cap bolts, but getting the broken bolts out of the head can be problematic.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          That is what I was thinking while looking at the pics
                          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Well before I pulled it out I looked and it was at 21 and not 20 or 19. So how much for 2 of those bolts? And do u happen to have three of those guide spacer things? I cant believe I broke off those bolts. Unfortunately I've snapped a bolt before so I know how to extract them...anyway so once I get all of this finished and fixed is it 19 or 20 Im hearing both. I know its 20 on the 1000 and 1100s but I have half that motor so it could be different?

Comment

As is pointed out in the factory service manual excerpt I attached (this is available as a PDF from BassCliff's site). I'll attach another, this time from the Clymer GS550 manual, as it is a bit clearer. This is after you set the exhaust cam, which is installed first:

Position the cam chain on the intake cam sprocket so the specified number of chain pins are positioned between arrow 2 on the exhaust camshaft and arrow 3 on the intake camshaft as shown in figure 41. The camshaft arrows on 1982 and earlier engines are 20 chain pins apart (Figure 42).
                              Also note that many of us working on 8V 550s have found that the exhaust cam #1 arrow actually appears slightly ABOVE (but still pretty much parallel to) the plane of the head when the exhaust is in time with the crankshaft. You can try dropping it by a tooth and you will see that it is quite a bit off from parallel there.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X