Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

starter locking up in my 1150, its on a second rebuild, time for new one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter locking up in my 1150, its on a second rebuild, time for new one?

hey guys, I had my starter rebuilt awhile ago and I have a brand new solonoid, about a year ago it locked up on me and kept running so I had to pull over and kill the engine for it to stop, I got home and charged my battery as it drained my battery, went out riding again and it locked again, I pulled it out and took it back to my rebuild place and they went back through it, they said the shaft is loose and looks pretty worn out, Im going to check my switch and make sure that isnt sticking, but could it be time for a brand new starter? the bike has over 30k on it...

The starter motor can't keep swallowing current unless the solenoid is staying on, no matter how "loose" the shaft is. This would probably run the battery down in less than two minutes When you say it "locked up", maybe you mean the starter clutch ain't disengaging properly? But if it is the solenoid staying on, (and supplying juice to starter ) then something is wrong with the starter button circuit.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      then something is wrong with the starter button circuit.
      I was thinking it could just be the button , Ill look at the whole circuit and see what I come up with...

Comment

pulled the starter and put power to it, the positive bolt post on the starter sparked up a whole bunch, I think its supposed to just spin right?

Comment

No they will spark if the jumpers already have energy stored in them.
          Has nothing to do with the starter.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

no shorts found and starter taken apart...

I checked the whole starter wiring system yesterday, from the power connection where the starter mounts and back to the battery connection with the battery in, its all checks out good: no shorts...
            I took the starter apart and cant see any burnt areas but its is pretty dirty...

Im going to clean it all down and make sure it goes back together correctly, then install it...
            Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asbjones View Post
              pulled the starter and put power to it, the positive bolt post on the starter sparked up a whole bunch, I think its supposed to just spin right?
              Yes, connect jumper from starter housing to negative battery post, then touch positive post on starter to positive battery post. It will kick back, but should spin nice and easy. If not, something is wrong!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I think I found the culprit, the inner plastic square washer piece to isolate the bolt (the positive wire connects to on the outside of starter) is cracked, so when the starter is put back together the positive weaved wire touches the body of the starter and shorts, it is available through Suzuki so Im going to order one...

Comment

OK, I JB welded the missing chunk of the plastic isolation washer thing so if the positive weaved wire inside touches the housing of the starter it wont short out, reassembled the starter and put power to it and it spins good, installed it back in the bike and the same thing happens , the starter locks up and wont shut off, I dont think the engine is turning over and I dot think the starter is even spinning, I did look at my cuircuit diagram and it shows a "starter interlock switch" in the circuit from the starter button to the solonoid/relay, Im going to check this today and swap my relay with the old one...wish me luck!
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

You have to have power going to the starter if it's turning unless the starter clutch is bad and turning the starter.
                    If it's getting power all the time (it'll crank the motor without pushing the start button without the clutch being pulled) i'd check the wiring to and the new solenoid.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Humor me! next time you have starter motor out, put power to it and tell me which direction it is spinning- counterclockwise looking at shaft end?? I don't see how " starter locks up", but you also say that you " don't think the starter is even spinning" . Any distinct noises? If current was going to starter, it would warm up rather quickly- along with draining the battery.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Humor me! next time you have starter motor out, put power to it and tell me which direction it is spinning- counterclockwise looking at shaft end?? I don't see how " starter locks up", but you also say that you " don't think the starter is even spinning" . Any distinct noises? If current was going to starter, it would warm up rather quickly- along with draining the battery.
                        its like power is going to the starter and its not turning but buzzing and the power wire going to the starter and off the battery is hot to the point where I have undo the power wire, I swapped solonoids and will try my old one...

@chef1366: when you say "starter clutch" do you mean solonoid? cause this starter doesnt have something that moves in and out like a cars starter solonoid...

Comment

The starter clutch is on the back side of the rotor under the stator cover. It's a pain to get off so really read up on it before doing any work there.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

ok I pulled it out again, spins counter clockwise and does spin good when powered up, when it was just in the bike it sounded like it was spinning but the motor was not turning over thats why I pulled it out again, and that was with another battery jumpering the existing battery(in the bike)...Im totally confused now..

Comment

Originally posted by asbjones View Post
                              ...when it was just in the bike it sounded like it was spinning but the motor was not turning over...
                              From what you describe 'starter motor spinning but engine not' sounds like your starter clutch has failed.

Comment

Working...
                              X