Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'79 GS550 - How bad is adjusting the valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS550 - How bad is adjusting the valves?

I've never really dreaded or "feared" anything when it comes to working on stuff but for some reason I'm really dreading adjusting the valves on my GS. I know it needs to be done before I ride it much but for some reason I'm just not wanting to do it. I've read the guide and all that good stuff too. I think I'm afraid that it's going to turn out like everything else with this bike... A one day project turns into 3 weeks of no bike.

So honestly, how bad is it? What could I possibly run into that would snag me up, and how would I deal with it?

The real "irritation" is finding out what shims you need and then waiting for those shims. Then you find out you were a little off, so you order the right ones.

Can take a while.

Comment

It's not that bad. The big time issue is that you won't know what shims you need to replace until you go in, catalog what you have, and measure the gaps now.

Things to have in advance:

valve cover gasket
      Shim tool (I like it anyway, think it's easier/quicker than zip-tie method)
      digital calipers and/or metric micrometer
      metric feeler gauges
      gasket scraper

You'll probably have to open it up twice: once to measure everything and figure out what shims you need. Put a light coat of grease on the gasket so you can remove it again cleanly after you get your shims and do the actual swap. Then you can ride in between the two sessions.

Comment

If you like dreading stuff, dread burning some valves cuz of no clearance, having to remove head, and paying some guy big bucks to correct what likely could have been prevented . Get that cam cover off and go exploring- sure problems might arise, but folks on here are standing by with real world help.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          If you like dreading stuff, dread burning some valves cuz of no clearance, having to remove head, and paying some guy big bucks to correct what likely could have been prevented . Get that cam cover off and go exploring- sure problems might arise, but folks on here are standing by with real world help.
          Yeah, that's why I won't be riding it much until the valves are adjusted. I've got no idea how long it's been since they were done. For all I know, I've already got some burnt valves... No way to tell until I'm in there, right?

Adler, Mike: Thanks for the encouragement. That tip about greasing the gasket will help me a lot.

Comment

I did it in a couple of hours on my 550, interspersed with a few days waiting for shims. I was able to juggle a couple, so I only had to buy three. A nearby Suzuki dealer had a few of them he let me have cheap, because the shop doesn't work on old bikes and so doesn't use the shims anymore.

The biggest headaches were stuck valve cover screws and removing the old gasket material without dropping pieces into the valve chamber. A hand impact driver and small long-nosed locking pliers were great for the stubborn and broken screws. I ended up with one broken screw I couldn't remove (one of the inside ones), but I left the hole empty, and it hasn't leaked. I also switched to RealGaskets valve cover and breather cover gaskets, which work if you are not using the stock tach drive, and are re-usable, unlike the stock cardboard gaskets.

Another headache was the breather hose, which was hardened and difficult to reinstall on my bike. Also, the valve cover was stuck pretty tight to its gasket, and I feared breaking it when removing it, but eventually got it off. Once it's loose, it's a pretty close fit and difficult to get out of the frame, but not impossible. Be sure to remove the horn and the breather cover first.

I used the zip-tie method to hold the valves open, and it worked like a charm. Very quick and certain.

The RealGaskets gaskets work so well, that the second time I checked my valves, the whole job only took an hour (I didn't replace any shims that time).

Comment

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
              Yeah, that's why I won't be riding it much until the valves are adjusted. I've got no idea how long it's been since they were done. For all I know, I've already got some burnt valves... No way to tell until I'm in there, right?
              Negative vibes! Maybe that nice old guy at the suzuki factory left a little extra clearance with a note to remind you to check them after 30 years.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It's easy with the right tools.
                Geez guys don't scare him.
                I'd be more afraid of burnt valves then a couple hour job.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I had exactly ths fear when I did the check on my 1000.Had to adjust all the exhuasts.Don't have the tool so I tried http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ol_zip_tie.pdf .Took
                  a bit of fiddling to get it the first time.All done now with nice .003 of an inch on all the valves.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                    Things to have in advance:

valve cover gasket
                    Shim tool (I like it anyway, think it's easier/quicker than zip-tie method)
                    digital calipers and/or metric micrometer
                    metric feeler gauges
                    gasket scraper.
                    Another handy tool is one that will help you catalog your shims and figure out what shims you will then need.

As luck would have it, such a tool exists.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yea, ditto that Pendulum, no big deal with the correct tools and you have help near by. MiloBramble and myself have both dealt with that and I am about to do it again, I am going to check mine next week.

I have a local friend that is an ex-Suzuki factory rep, he is the shizzle on these GS's, great additional resource and he has shims.

PM me if you if you like and we'll get you hooked up.

Cheers

Comment

Here's a tip, find local source of shims before you take every thing apart. There used to be a bike junk yard just south of I 10, a few miles west of downtown Phoenix, I bet they have a bunch of them. Usually the junkyards cost a lot less if you swap your old ones.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Here's a tip, find local source of shims before you take every thing apart. There used to be a bike junk yard just south of I 10, a few miles west of downtown Phoenix, I bet they have a bunch of them. Usually the junkyards cost a lot less if you swap your old ones.
                          Bobs Used Motorcycle Parts on Elwood, been around for ever....

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
                            Bobs Used Motorcycle Parts on Elwood, been around for ever....
                            Yep, that's the one.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the offer bb! I've been struggling to find a local guy that I can trust when it comes to these old bikes. I prefer to do my own work, but it's nice to have someone with knowledge that's local.

tkent, thanks for reminding me about Bobs! I always forget about that place. Once I get vacation time maybe I'll take a personal day off work and head over there.

Comment

Working...
                              X