Final Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Drive

Could someone enlighten me to if a 82 1100gk final drive work on a 84 1100gk?? Many thanks in advance, Pat

final drive?

I don't have any personal experience but they are the same part # so you should be good to go.

Cheers

Comment

The only difference is the gear ratio; the '83+ 1100's are 2.9, everything else is 3.1
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I wonder who you could be asking for... so with the different gear ratio I would get a lower RPM at highway speeds?
        Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

2.93:1 versus 3.09:1 actually.
          Hardly worth the effort for a couple to three hundred rpm difference at 65 mph.

Now, if you were to get a rear from say a VL-1400 (and other later model Suzuki shafties ) ... and a 2.73:1 rear ratio...

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Dart94 View Post
            I wonder who you could be asking for... so with the different gear ratio I would get a lower RPM at highway speeds?
            No, if you are putting the '82 drive in the '84 bike, your RPM will go UP.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              No, if you are putting the '82 drive in the '84 bike, your RPM will go UP.

alright. The bike will mostly around town. So shorter gearing might be a bit better around town for acceleration. But as already said it seems like it will be a C hair of difference. Anyways OP hit me back with a price on that. Looking at a few of them.

Also is it normal for this part to wear out? I thought it was the spline in side the wheel that was the soft part of the bike.

Comment

Usually it is the spline.. Have you checked it ?? You need to remove it from the wheel to get a good look...
                The beveled gear assemble is another possibility

Comment

I didn't pull them out of the wheel but I did take a pick and run it around on the inside. I'll take a really close look tomorrow.

Comment

Wait, aren't the 82s bad spline bikes. I Think they made them out of silly putty that year. Maybe it was play dough...

Comment

Originally posted by keman View Post
                      Wait, aren't the 82s bad spline bikes. I Think they made them out of silly putty that year. Maybe it was play dough...
                      Well I have a final drive out of a 80 850g too

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        2.93:1 versus 3.09:1 actually.
                        Hardly worth the effort for a couple to three hundred rpm difference at 65 mph.

Now, if you were to get a rear from say a VL-1400 (and other later model Suzuki shafties ) ... and a 2.73:1 rear ratio...

Eric
                        Is that possible?

That would be something I would have interest in.

Comment

I am NOT sharing how to get a 2.66:1 rear ratio as it is my little secret.

Perhaps some of the experts could help? Have you tried Baatfam, Bert Dodds, JJ, UncleMike, Kilroy, Earlfor or SuzyQ? LMFAO!!!

Eric
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2012, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                            I am NOT sharing how to get a 2.66:1 rear ratio as it is my little secret.

Perhaps some of the experts could help? Have you tried Baatfam, Bert Dodds, JJ, UncleMike, Kilroy, Earlfor or SuzyQ? LMFAO!!!

Eric
                            Got me all excited, then dashed my hopes all to h*ll.

Not cool.

Comment

You could also use some Yamaha parts but, it would be too much information for some to comprehend.

Just sayin'

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X