Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone succesfully re-used a head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone succesfully re-used a head gasket?

I've dissassembled my top end for new rings n things and the head gasket popped out pretty clean, just wondering if I can re-use it to save some $$'s.

Anyone else successfully done this?

Thanks

They are like gaskets in a car in that they compress as the bolts are torqued to seat against both the heads and jugs and its a permanent squishing..youll get nowhere trying to reuse them except immediately redoing the job.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      They are like gaskets in a car in that they compress as the bolts are torqued to seat against both the heads and jugs and its a permanent squishing..youll get nowhere trying to reuse them except immediately redoing the job.
      Great Chuck, that's what I thought, thanks for confirming

Comment

Man, that's alot of work to get to that head gasket in the first place, why would you ever want to risk the chance of having to do it again?
        I'd opt for a new gasket and save yourself the headaches, it's money well spent.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Thats what i was thinking too..its already aprt..so its a no brainer to add the new gasket at that point.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'd replace it. It's not as if they are some unreasonably expensive part to replace.

Comment

I did. Wanted to test drive an engine to see if the transmission and everything were good before doing a top end. Threw some cylinders and a head on, used an old gasket. It worked, ran fine, let me test the transmission which was fine. It was leaking a little oil after few hours.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I hate to admit it but I have done it too. I haven't put any mileage on the bike. It was the test bed for my 550 igniter project but so far after about 40 starts and running for up to 10 minutes at a time it looks as good as gold. I can't say what would happen over time but I'm guessing it will leak.

Likely ok for a short spell but like folks say why take a chance.

Good luck with it.

Spyug

Comment

Working...
                X