Need help with 1982 gs1100gk2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with 1982 gs1100gk2

I have a 1982 gs 1100gk2 with 16,000 miles the problem is there is a clunking sound coming from the front of the drive shaft. I know its not the u-joint because i already checked that it sounds like it coming from the secondary drive i dont know just maybe i didnt notice it before. I changed all the fluids and checked for metal shavings finding none. When i put it on the center stand and put it in 5th gear with it running thats when you can here it behind the shifter cover. Any ideas.

Bearings, number 3 here: http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1982&fveh=2158,
    rusted and worn out due to previous water damage?

Eric

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. rem3160,

Yes, could be bearings, most likely.

Have you checked for a broken bolt on the u-joint right behind the motor? The bevel gear shaft could also be broken. Have a look at this:

Bevel Gear Shaft Repair
      (by Mr. Zooks)

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Well its not the bearing or anything else in there i had it all apart today and everything is tight and looks brand new.I also checked the u-joint and that is fine to. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi,

Here's a long shot. Perhaps you can drain the gear oil from the bevel gear case and shine a light in the fill hole. Spin the rear wheel and see if there are any missing teeth on the bezel gears.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X