Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Startproblem: 4 cylinders, but only 3 firing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Startproblem: 4 cylinders, but only 3 firing?

Hi everybody

I have a few problems with my 1979 GS850G bike.
    Despite that she's an aging woman, my bike is in a general good condition, but this morning I had some troubles.

It started out with problems starting the bike by using the electrical starter. I dried out the battery while trying this and eventually went for the kickstarter. At this time I'd already pulled up the choker and this usually does the trick.
    But something was different this time: I couldn't get it to start and while kicking the kickstarter like a madman I suddenly heard two rather large *bangs* sounding like a small explosion similar to tailpipe shot. The second *bang* came about 3 seconds after the first one.
    After this I couldn't even get the bike to even remotely indicate a near-ingnition and at this point I gave up and went to work.

When I came home I tried once more to start it and after some efford with the choker and kickstarter the bike finally started. I let it run for a few minutes while inspecting the engine, and here I accidently noticed that one of the exhaust pipes weren't as hot as the other three. Quite cool actually but the pipe next to the cold one were really hot and a bit hotter than the other two..
    (I hope this makes any sense)

I know this is a kinda vauge description, but has anyone any advice on how to adress this problem, or even a suggestion of what could be wrong?
    I haven't inspected the sparkplugs, but I think that that may be a good place to start, to see it the plug is shortwired or damaged.
    Hope that anyone can help me out a bit.
    Thanks.

/Dragsdal

Which cylinder isn't heating up?

#3? (from left)
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yea. It's the 3rd when looking from the front wheel and on the engine.
      The 4th (the one to the far right) is the one getting a heated up.

Comment

If I follow you correctly, that is Cylinder No. 2. Generally the cylinders are numbered 1-4 from left to right looking forward from the seat to handlebars.

Comment

Hi,

In July of last year you received your "mega-welcome". Have you had a chance to go through all of the items in the maintenance lists? On these old bikes the symptoms are sometimes caused by several problems. Your problem could be a dirty carburetor, bad spark plug, bad spark plug cap or wire, weak charging system, etc. It's best to go through all the necessary maintenance so that you can start troubleshooting from a known baseline where everything has been properly maintained.

Here's your "mega-welcome" one more time.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yes, I recieved the 'Mega-welcome' and has saved it as a treasured bookmark. Unfortunately I haven't gotten though all of the items, so I guess thats what I'm gonna do now, focusing of the areas near the engine and carbs.
            Thanks..

Comment

Working...
            X