1981 gs750 ex tscc drive sprocket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs750 ex tscc drive sprocket question

hi, while replacing the engine driveshaft sprocket, i noticed this. the stock sprocket assembly consist of the sprocket, an outer plate with three countersunk screws, and an inner plate that the screws screw into. all three screws were missing, the inner plate was spinning freely. in replacing the sprocket, Z1 enterprises just sent me a sprocket. my question is, why did the stock sprocket assembly have those two plates, and can i just install the new sprocket without them as long as i have an outer washer spacer and spline locknut washer on the shaft that is of the same dimensions for the fitting of the driveshaft nut. were the two original inner and outer plates included in the stock assembly because of a counterweight requirement or something?

The inner and outer plates are cushions (sort of) and will be of no use with the typical replacement sprocket. Generally the countershaft sprocket supplied by Z1 will require a 6mm spacer than goes on the OUTSIDE so that the countershaft nut will fully tighten.
    sigpic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
    2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Working...
    X