Differences between 700 and 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences between 700 and 1150

So I've been looking at parts fiches online and have noticed that the valve cover gasket for the 85 700e and 85 1150 are the same. Which would lead me to believe that the valve cover itself is the same. Except maybe color/finish/placement of the TSCC lettering.
    Correct?

Which would lead me to believe that the head is basically the same (allowing of course for differences in cams and maybe intake and exhaust ports).

Which would then lead me to believe that the cylinders themselves share the same bolt pattern.

So if all this is true, (which it probably is not) is it reasonable to think that maybe - just maybe, the jugs off an 1150 would bolt onto the bottom case of a 700 engine?

In my own particular case, my Pop up Katana displaces 747 cm3. Says so right on the side of the cylinders. If an 1150 displaces 1150 cm3, that's only 200 (+/- 3 cm3) cm3 more. Split into 4, that becomes a 50 cm3 difference. Is it possible that the 700 block is reused on the 1150 engine, albeit bored out bigger with maybe a longer stroke crankshaft?

In other words, how much does the 700/750 and 1150 engine share, and how much is proprietary to each engine?

At the bottom of all this is the question of whether or not I could bolt an 1150 engine into my Pop up Katana....

Inquiring minds want to know!

Nobody knows? Or nobody cares....

Comment

Actually it's 400cc's bigger or 100 per piston. I doubt you could grind enuff out of your case to accept the 1150 barrels. The 1150 also has 20mm pins so your rods wouldn't fit. Prolly easier to shoehorn a complete 1150 into your 700 frame.

Comment

Your 700 is a 3rd? gen frame, the 1150 is sized like the 2nd gen, so your frame wouldnt be big enough iirc. The displacement difference comes not only from the bore but more from the longer stroke of the roller crank 1150. My 2nd gen 750 had a 67mm bore and the 1100 has a 72mm bore, 5mm bore difference is only + ~150cc's . So if it was possible to bolt on the 1150 cylinder etc, your 700 would only make it to ~850cc. Correct me if I am wrong.
        EDIT: Oh a 750 KAT, if the 750 is a 2nd gen, then the 1150/1100 should fit, minus the middle engine mount.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM.

Comment

It is a 3rd gen frame and engine:

Comment

Originally posted by OLDENUFF View Post
            Actually it's 400cc's bigger or 100 per piston.
            I'm so dumb. I even reread and reread to make sure I didn't sound like an idiot (or at least sounded like a lesser idiot)

Comment

Nice bike BTW. Why would you want to change it?

Comment

Looks nice, don't remember seeing a 3rd gen Kat. What year is it?
                Only engine upgrade would be an 1100 gixxer.

Comment

You could watch out for a Wiseco 816 kit.

This guy has them. You have to use a modified head gasket on your model.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I think I've read around here that some have attempted 1100 jugs on the 750 lower end, seem to remember that it EATS crank bearings.

Comment

They never imported the pop ups to the states - that's why you've never seen one. They call 'em pop ups because the headlight is retracted via a little electric motor much like the Honda Accords of the late '80's.

After riding around on my 82 Kat thou, this one seems, well, a little tame. It doesn't have that raw, brutal throttle response the big one has. Not that it's not capable, but you know what they say. Once you go big you can't go back.....

I've also been toying with the idea of shoving in an engine out of an 88-93 GSX 1100F Katana, but they seem to be harder to come across as a complete engine/carbs/exhaust set. More likely to find a parts bike, but finding a whole parts bike is not the easiest thing, either. And I don't know if the engine will even fit. This is the (probably) most feasible idea....

I really like the bike and was debating on whether to sell or not but I just can't bring myself to sell it yet. Maybe I'll just hang onto it for a while and see what comes up....

This is of course the rantings and ravings of a complete idiot so you should probably ignore it.

Comment

oil cooled GSXR based motor shares pretty much the same dimensions as the thse motors as this motor was the precursor to the early oil cooled gsxrs.

they do go in without too much bother.

pic below shows gsxr motor in the same frame

Comment

Working...
                        X