No announcement yet.

bolt threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are not well experienced with Helicoils, do a couple of practice installations into another piece of steel. Drill a hole then run the Helicoil drill, Helicoil tap and then insert. Doing the first try into a crankshaft might not be the ideal means of discovering that you are making some error of understanding. You will have one try to be successful and then things will turn nasty.

Helicoils appear to be a very simple installation but many things can go wrong. Someone mentioned the use of Loctite to assist in holding the insert. Not really required but something many of us prefer.

It is not uncommon for the insertion tool to be a poor fit which can make it difficult to impossible to install the insert. I've seen several kits with this problem in the last few years so be aware that you may have problems in this regards.

It is sometimes helpful to chamfer then starting end of the threads before attempting to install the insert, particularly when installing sparkplug coils.

Good luck with the repair. Wondering what happened to destroy that thread (as this is not a common problem)?

Comment

okey, thank you very much guys.. this forum saves me every time, it's amazing!! you are right, looks like it's enough metal for a helicoil in there..

you are right about that, it must be very important to get it in center..

this bike is a project i have been working on for months now.. it's going to be a bad-ass, old school bobber with hardtail.. and it is almost done now.. going to make a post with photos on the project soon

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
        If you are not well experienced with Helicoils, do a couple of practice installations into another piece of steel. Drill a hole then run the Helicoil drill, Helicoil tap and then insert. Doing the first try into a crankshaft might not be the ideal means of discovering that you are making some error of understanding. You will have one try to be successful and then things will turn nasty.

Helicoils appear to be a very simple installation but many things can go wrong. Someone mentioned the use of Loctite to assist in holding the insert. Not really required but something many of us prefer.

It is not uncommon for the insertion tool to be a poor fit which can make it difficult to impossible to install the insert. I've seen several kits with this problem in the last few years so be aware that you may have problems in this regards.

It is sometimes helpful to chamfer then starting end of the threads before attempting to install the insert, particularly when installing sparkplug coils.

Good luck with the repair. Wondering what happened to destroy that thread (as this is not a common problem)?
        thank you very much for your tips, i'm going to practice first.. there's no room for errors here..

what happened, was that it got damaged under the flywheel removal.. as many of you might know, it is often a pain in the ass to remove the flywheel on this bike.. i ended up with installing a bolt in the inner hole, and used a puller.. the bolt apparantly was a LITTLE bit too small, and the threads got damaged.. i was shocked about how stuck the flywheel was, i mean, the puller had to use a lot of force.. and the flywheel fled off with a bang!!

Comment

I know exactly how it goes trying to remove the rotor.

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            I know exactly how it goes trying to remove the rotor.

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...&postcount=338

hehe, i can see it's not only me.. the key to success is to have the proper tool.. but sometimes, when you're in a hurry, you've gotta take what you can find, and come up with some "smart" solutions..

Comment

Working...
            X