No announcement yet.

2nd gear problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried shifting without the clutch? Same problem?

Comment

Not to hijack, but I see this non-clutch shift referenced all the time. Is this as simple as just shifting? Is there some other part to the technique?

Comment

It's called speed shifting, and may have another name or two. Some people are convinced it will destroy your transmission. Some entertaining flame-wars, actually. Done properly, it's quicker than the clutch, and just as smooth. Done wrong, you'll embarrass yourself at best. At worst, you force the shifter and bend a fork, or grind the shift dogs.

It's easier to learn on the up-shifts. Pre-load the shifter, be careful not to use more force than usually necessary for a good, positive gear change. Roll off the throttle until the gears are unloaded. The pre-loaded lever clicks into the next gear and you roll right back on the throttle. Practice it using the clutch at first. As you get yourself trained onto how much you need to roll off the throttle, shifting quicker and quicker, you'll find you can use less and less clutch, until you're not using it at all. Downshifts are similar, but less forgiving. You don't need to do it to be cool or anything, but it would be a handy skill if you ever break a clutch cable without a spare.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yeah. I have never tried it since it seems like something that could be a disaster. Would be useful if a cable went though. Thanks.

Comment

Actually, I was able to get it to shift by revving it up mostly like you were talking about. I just didn't realize that was what I was doing. I will take it out tomorrow and pay more attention.

Comment

If you can speed shift it, the problem is very likely the clutch. Perhaps a stretching cable (about to fail), or maybe the friction disks have worn grooves in the basket.
              Dogma
              --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The clutch cable was frayed, I replaced it with the one off of my parts bike. It didn't make a difference. Should I go with a brand new cable? Why would it only affect that gear?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                  It's called speed shifting, and may have another name or two. Some people are convinced it will destroy your transmission. Some entertaining flame-wars, actually. Done properly, it's quicker than the clutch, and just as smooth. Done wrong, you'll embarrass yourself at best. At worst, you force the shifter and bend a fork, or grind the shift dogs.

It's easier to learn on the up-shifts. Pre-load the shifter, be careful not to use more force than usually necessary for a good, positive gear change. Roll off the throttle until the gears are unloaded. The pre-loaded lever clicks into the next gear and you roll right back on the throttle. Practice it using the clutch at first. As you get yourself trained onto how much you need to roll off the throttle, shifting quicker and quicker, you'll find you can use less and less clutch, until you're not using it at all. Downshifts are similar, but less forgiving. You don't need to do it to be cool or anything, but it would be a handy skill if you ever break a clutch cable without a spare.
                  Speed shifting and clutch less shifting are not the same thing.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Speed shifting and clutch less shifting are not the same thing.
                    OK, time for me to learn something then. What's the difference?
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Konnick View Post
                      The clutch cable was frayed, I replaced it with the one off of my parts bike. It didn't make a difference. Should I go with a brand new cable? Why would it only affect that gear?
                      Sorry, I forgot it was only 2nd gear giving you the problems. That does suggest something odd in the transmission.

On the up side, the frayed cable needed to go anyway. If the parts bike cable is intact and moved freely, there's no need to replace it. You might lube it, but if it appears healthy it shouldn't require any more attention.
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                      X