wrong clutch cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wrong clutch cable?

I just bought an 82 gs1100ez and have to replace the clutch cable, I removed the old one and went to put on the new one, I started at the lever end, inserted the barrel and slid it into the adjuster, then a routed the other end over the frame, under the tank and in between the carb boots and clipped it into the little holder for the cable I then tried to line up the threads on the other end and the clutch arm thingy and there was no way it was going to reach, all the tension was used up from the barrel to the adjuster on the hand lever. So the spring on the other end is already fully compressed I've turn the adjuster all the way in it just seemed an inch or so short. What is the proper part # for the cable? I got it from d2moto and the part number is sbc044. I know its stupid but i really don't know.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2012, 07:19 PM.

Originally posted by cyber.demon View Post
    I just bought an 82 gs1100ez and have to replace the clutch cable, I removed the old one and went to put on the new one, I started at the lever end, inserted the barrel and slid it into the adjuster, then a routed the other end over the frame, under the tank and in between the carb boots and clipped it into the little holder for the cable I then tried to line up the threads on the other end and the clutch arm thingy and there was no way it was going to reach, all the tension was used up from the barrel to the adjuster on the hand lever. So the spring on the other end is already fully compressed I've turn the adjuster all the way in it just seemed an inch or so short. What is the proper part # for the cable? I got it from d2moto and the part number is sbc044. I know its stupid but i really don't know.
    First, you went at it backwards. You should connect it to the clutch arm on the clutch cover first.
    Second, it sounds like you need to rotate the arm on the clutch cover. Just remove the 10mm bolt, pull the arm off and rotate it clockwise until you have enough slack in the cable. The threaded part on the engine should be all the way in, of course. Once you get that pretty close you can then connect it at the lever on the handlebar and fine tune the length.

Comment

I thought about rotating the arm but i can't imagine that the cable will give a long enough pull to move the arm far enough. It's almost fully compressed with it just sitting in the lever. Getting the barrel into the lever and putting it into the adjuster was a reak hard pull.

Comment

The arm is supposed to be at about a 90 degree angle when the clutch is not pulled.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok I will take another look and see where its at. The clutch cable that was on there before worked but I'm assuming that it was old and snapped when I pulled into a store parking lot, I had to ride it about a mile back home. This is my second bike after selling my monster I decided I wanted to ride again and got the gs pretty cheap. Now in finding out its gonna take a bit of work before I can begin to enjoy riding it.

Comment

I bet it snapped right up by the clutch lever?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, I went to d2moto and entered the part number. It stated it fits the G model but not the E model. Are you sure you ordered the correct part?

Comment

You may just be correct sir! I ordered it through amazon and I guess it didn't specify I'm going to return it and just go with a better brand any suggestion and maybe a link to the right part?

Comment

stock suzuki cables arent much more expensive and tend to last longer.

Comment

Ok I ordered the correct cable hopefully...next question, how much does the average shop charge to change the steering head bearings? I'm planning on taking it in because i don't really have many tools or time right now to do it myself and I'm so not rich right now.

Comment

If you aren't rich you won't be able to handle the shop charges. Where do you live? Put your location in your profile and you might find one of us is close enough to help out.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                      X