Idling on the sidestand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idling on the sidestand

How long is too long to let a bike idle on the sidestand? On my 8 valve GL and my 16 valve Bandit, I usually back it out of the garage and start it. After I start it, I leave it idling on the sidestand, put my gloves and helmet on, and go back in the garage to turn the light off. It's a cold start and probably idles for a couple of minutes. I then leave it idling on the sidestand while I open a gate to drive out and again at my newspaper box. Should I be killing the engine each time?
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

You could spend more time than that sitting at traffic lights. I'd say it's no problem.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

At traffic lights, the bike is upright but I was thinking that what I have been doing is probably not a problem. I know I have heard that idling on the sidestand can limit oil delivery to the cams on the uphill side (like cylinder 4) of some motors.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Hi,

Agreed. Your concern for the uphill cylinders is valid. Idling a few minutes here and there won't hurt. Sitting and idling for 10 minutes would start to worry me, 15-20 minutes could lead to overheating and damage. Air-cooled engines need moving air to dissipate heat.

Thank you for your indulgence,

Cliff
        Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

i wouldnt worry at all, oil gets pumped up the the head on both sides so oil starvation wont be a problem. also if Suzuki had figured this would be a potential problem they wouldnt have fitted the bike with a sidestand
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            i wouldnt worry at all, oil gets pumped up the the head on both sides so oil starvation wont be a problem. also if Suzuki had figured this would be a potential problem they wouldnt have fitted the bike with a sidestand
            Yes, Suzuki engineers have already sussed out all potential problems, especially in the charging system for instance . . .

Comment

Working...
            X