No announcement yet.

gs cold pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You stated they were ""soaked for a few hours"" That doesnt cut it if you mean like 2 or 3 hours. You gotta soak each carb body for a FULL24 HRS..you can out 2 at a time in the dip if you remove the basket. Same for all the jets and internal bits..24 HRS. Dont soak the composite floats, rubber plugs over the pilot jets, the orings on the jets, the float seat screens with the plastic rims, or the fiber washers under the float seats..If its not metal it doesnt go in the dip. Then recheck the float heights, reset the needles, proper bench sync, and finally vacuum sync them. Be sure the valves are within specs to 1) ensure the valves are actually closing all the way, which may or may not improve the compression reading..and 2) this ensures the vacuum running thru the carbs is optimal so you get a good vacuum sync the first time. And lastly, be sure that when you do the compression check its done right. Do it on a warmed up engine is critical...remove the plug wires on all 4 plugs, twist the throttle full open and crank till the needle isnt gonna go any higher and then read the guage. Repeat on other 3 cylinders. May wish to apply a battery charger to recharge between swapping from cylinder to cylinder so you can get it done without running out of cranking power.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
    X