leaking gasket under cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking gasket under cylinder

Hmmm... Just rebuilt the top end of the engine on my GS1100G - new rings and a valve overhaul - and have been for a ride. Bike is running like crap and oil appears to be weeping a little from the front of where the cylinder meets the engine casings. Head gasket is fine. I used a genuine Suzuki gasket and installed the two keyhole shaped O rings. What else could it be? Maybe I missed something when I cleaned the old gasket off? Any ideas?

I guess this means I need to pull it all apart again and put in a new gasket, check the surfaces again?

Thanks!

The consensus of opinion here seems to be that if you remove the cylinder head, you should replace the base gasket as well, because the jugs get "disturbed" and oil leaks result.

Also use genuine Suzuki OEM gaskets for cylinder head and base gasket, as poor results were obtained with other makes.
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

well yeah, that's what I did. I replaced the base gasket (didn't know what it was called) with a genuine but it's leaking. There must have been something I missed when I cleaned the surface of the base. Cheers!

Comment

OK, it was not clear to me from your first post that you had replaced the base gasket as well.

Have you re-torqued the head now that the engine has had a couple of heat cycles? Slacken off one bolt at a time about quarter turn, following the correct sequence for the bolts, and re-torque.

You may have to do this process a few times as you put more heat cycles on the engine and the gaskets "settle".
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Where is it leaking?

Comment

Where is the leak at?

Comment

Got a server error when I tried to post-That stock base gasket was a bear to remove on mine- had some type of hardcore sealer on it-

Comment

I think I worked out what the issue was. Somehow I had missed a bit of old gasket in one corner. It had taken on an aluminium colour sort of! I am amazed that I didn't catch it. The leak was kind of in front of cylinder #4. 2Bracing - thanks - I did not know about that. I will check once I have started it up again.

Comment

Working...
                X