Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust off

Hey all.

After reading hundreds of posts about the exhaust on our bikes I was not excited to jump into it. I was ready to hear bolts snap and had a whole weekend blocked off for drilling and tapping. Well no such luck, every bolt came out like it was installed yesterday (rusty but still)

So the exhaust is on the floor now and I thought it a fun idea to post up some pictures and see if you great guys see anything I should pay attention too.

The one pipe is loose. I'm pretty sure its missing a clamp.

See

This is all I should have right? One two sets of these half rings came out.
    Here's another thing I have a question about...

See the oil weeping? Could this be fixed by torquing the head? Or is the only fix a head gasket? I sure hope there is a trick. I'm going to drop the pan and clean the pick up screen and do the oil pressure shim trick. Then up top I'm going to do the valves. Oh yeah how about my polish job on the stator cover?? It was a whole day with a sander and buffer. I removed the rings where the emblem went and just made it smooooth.

Thanks for looking!!

nice job on the polishing,

Comment

What did you pull that exhaust off of, and where are you located?
      Yes, you could get lucky and just retourque the head (with a torque wrench!).
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

You are lucky to get those exhaust bolts out without any problem. Of course, they were swapped with Allens and whoever did that may have taken steps to ensure their removal. I would recommend changing to studs anyway.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Stator cover looks awesome, nice work. I would at least replace those bolts with new, clean the threads up in the head with a tap too before you install new. Coat new hardware with copper or silver grade anti-seize before install makes it easier on the next guy

You may slow your oil leak down a bit with a re-torque but you probably won't cure it, you have gone this far get an oem head gasket and swap it out would be best.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
            Stator cover looks awesome, nice work. I would at least replace those bolts with new, clean the threads up in the head with a tap too before you install new. Coat new hardware with copper or silver grade anti-seize before install makes it easier on the next guy

You may slow your oil leak down a bit with a re-torque but you probably won't cure it, you have gone this far get an oem head gasket and swap it out would be best.
            I'm gonna go for the retorque for now, The sun is out and i want back on the road, plus yhe wife is starting to give me that look lol. I got some copper anti-seize from work just for this.
            Originally posted by Spyder View Post
            What did you pull that exhaust off of, and where are you located?
            Yes, you could get lucky and just retourque the head (with a torque wrench!).
            The exhaust is off my bike. I'm in Federal Way WA

Originally posted by SOCKinside View Post
            nice job on the polishing,
            Thanks only one side is done. I still have the right side and the forks to do. But after a weekend of polishing i have developed a technique
            Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
            You are lucky to get those exhaust bolts out without any problem. Of course, they were swapped with Allens and whoever did that may have taken steps to ensure their removal. I would recommend changing to studs anyway.
            I did notice the swap out, somebody did me a huge favor!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
              What did you pull that exhaust off of, ...
              Originally posted by GreMonte View Post
              .The exhaust is off my bike.
              Uhhh, no kidding.

Yes, it was taken off your bike, but I really think he was trying to ask "what year and size of Suzuki's GS-series bikes did you take the exhaust system off of".

The polishing job looks good, but took too long.

At the rate of "a whole day" for just the stator cover, I would still be working on these:

I think it was a total of about three hours to do all four carb bowls, all four carb caps, all four cam end covers,
              the stator cover, shifter cover, ignition cover, clutch cover, both rear footpeg mounts and both fork legs.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve.....

why the rush,,,,,

I thought polishing was supposed to be therapeutic and relaxing, you really should take your time....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Uhhh, no kidding.

Yes, it was taken off your bike, but I really think he was trying to ask "what year and size of Suzuki's GS-series bikes did you take the exhaust system off of".

The polishing job looks good, but took too long.

At the rate of "a whole day" for just the stator cover, I would still be working on these:

I think it was a total of about three hours to do all four carb bowls, all four carb caps, all four cam end covers,

the stator cover, shifter cover, ignition cover, clutch cover, both rear footpeg mounts and both fork legs.

I'm sure the more I do it the better I will get. Besides the fact that i pulled the polisher out of the box Friday night a was working on my first page piece Sat morning. Also i started out very fine and slowly got more aggressive until i found what i liked. Also the stator cover had some road damage that i needed to grind away and then blend in. I don't know what condition your parts were in before you started but mine were badly tarnished and there was some kind of clear coat that was chipped up badly and had to be sanded off. I had to get the surface layer off before i was at good clean aluminum, aslo I was in no hurry and it was fun to watch something that looked like garbage turn into a shiny $200 part
                  If your right about the guy asking about the exhaust then 83 GS750 T

Very nice bike you have. Thanks for showing it
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreMonte View Post
                    Very nice bike you have. Thanks for showing it
                    That is actually my wife's bike, you can see all the bikes in my stable by clicking on the links in my sig.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I got my pipes apart for cleaning and inspection. Nothing really bad, did find a small hole and filled it (brazed)

What is used for a gasket on the outside pipes to the Y connection? The one had nothing since the clamp was gone too but the other had what looked like header wrap. I don't want to buy a special gasket but if I just need something simple to wrap around the pipe before I shove it together I would be very happy.

Comment

BUMP.. Any cheap tricks for the lower exhaust gaskets? The stuff I pulled out just looks like header wrap but what have you guys used?

Comment

Working...
                        X