Bearing/Seal Retainer Toasted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bearing/Seal Retainer Toasted

So I'm tearing into my 79 GS550E for a new set of sprockets and oil seals and it turns out the PO snapped a chain that he didn't tell me about , which is oh so exciting. Everything looks straight and there are no signs of wear except a shave taken out of the side of the crankcase.

Anyway, the popped chain toasted what Clymer is calling the "bearing and seal retainers," it's number 3 on the fiche below. It is the figure eight-ish plate. I have a replacement on its way, but I'm curious what the purpose of this piece is and if it should stop a ride this weekend . Aside from all the work of tearing the sprocket back off to put the new one on, is there any downside to running without a retainer for a weekend?

I don't have any experience with that device, but since it's called a "bearing and seal retainer", I would imagine its function is to retain bearings and seals.

What would happen if those bearings and seals were to get out of place? Do you think that might have any impact on your ride?

Personally, if you already have one on the way, I would play it safe and wait for it, but, like I said, I have no experience with that device.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, that's what makes the most sense I'm just anxious to run a test on the rebuilt aspects of the bike. Every shortcut always does end up longer...

Comment

Working...
      X