No 1 Cylinder not getting warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    Yes thats a problem....uses way more power in a few minutes than the bike can recover from very quickly. Youre doing the right thing by keeping a tender or auto shut off charger to her. Also dont forget to check the fluid level in the battery( if its not a sealed battery) and add some distilled water if needed.

Thanks Chuck, it is a sealed battery one I bought about a year ago, I do have my car charger on it set at 2 amps and it is supposed to shut off when the battery is charged.

I spent the better part of today on it and I am really at a point where I may just sell her as is. I clearly don't have what it takes to fix it and I don't have the funds to take it some place. Too bad cause I really loved riding it. I have a feeling maybe the timing is moving, is that possible? What would be the best way to check that? Last time I tried to start it today it back fired so loud I thought my ear drums would pop.. It started after but boy it was not running well..

Scott..

Comment

Backfiring then starting sounds like a points and condensors issue to me. Also bad connections at the coils and harness can make the coils misfire ( or not fire at all ) at times. Clean the connections and check the points gaps to start with. When it did start, how was the idle and throttle resonse?? I am about 99.5% the problem is electrical and not in the carbs. Bad harness grounds are a rascal too..clean them too.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Backfiring then starting sounds like a points and condensors issue to me. Also bad connections at the coils and harness can make the coils misfire ( or not fire at all ) at times. Clean the connections and check the points gaps to start with. When it did start, how was the idle and throttle resonse?? I am about 99.5% the problem is electrical and not in the carbs. Bad harness grounds are a rascal too..clean them too.
        Well it does not have points. This model is electronic. The connections to the coils seem good, clean no dirt etc. I have not checked the grounds or the harness to be fair. I have the tank off at the moment may be worth some time to go over it.

It started ok, once it started. With the choke all the way closed, it would idle at 1k (I did have it set at 1,200 before) and the response was sluggish.. not really bad, just noticeable. Actually better then one would expect given its only running on 2 cylinders.

TTYS,
        Scott..

Comment

Gotta be someone in the area that can come by and help...if i was close i would be there in the morning...much easier with it right in front of you to see and hear what its acting like. Dont sell it off just yet!!! Send out an SOS help call first.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Gotta be someone in the area that can come by and help...if i was close i would be there in the morning...much easier with it right in front of you to see and hear what its acting like. Dont sell it off just yet!!! Send out an SOS help call first.
            Well there is one more thing I can do. There is this guy in Florida that posts youtube videos on repairing bikes. I have asked for help before he has been good about replying and seems to know his stuff and does not mind helping. The problem with getting some one from around here to stop by and help they would have to be willing to help for beer and a good dinner or lunch as we only have my income and I just don't have any spare cash with 2 kids in collage and another on the way its all we can do to keep the lights on. I think maybe I will post a SOS posting and see if such a person exists. The other problem is if its going to be costly to fix, I maybe in the same boat. I have trolled these forums and others looking for any answers and so far have not found anything other than maybe the timing..

TTYS,
            Scott..

Comment

I think youll find a member here will be more than satisfied with some cold buds and few brats....thats the way we roll around here for the most part. Start asking and youll recieve.

Comment

I think youll find a member here will be more than satisfied with some cold buds and few brats....thats the way we roll around here for the most part. Start asking and youll recieve.
                Yeah, GSR folks look out for one another for the love of GS not for money.

If you were closer to Chicago, I'd come help for nothing.

We are like a grizzled old biker gang, but on the internets and with nicer bikes.

Comment

Thanks guys. Once I figure out how to word it I will post a SOS.. What would be the best thread to do that in do you think?

Yea, I live in S.E. Wisconsin (West Kenosha) so its a solid hour or better from Chicago. My daughter lives down there and we went to Mods vs Rockers this year.. Quite fun.. I did not get up to Milwaukee for Rockerbox but I know a few that did and really enjoyed it.

TTYS,
                  Scott..

Comment

Since its a combo of electrical and ( MAYBE ) fuel, but i suspect more electrical anything I would just start a new thread right here...nothing ventured nothing gained.

Comment

Since its a combo of electrical and ( MAYBE ) fuel, but i suspect more electrical anything I would just start a new thread right here...nothing ventured nothing gained.
                      Good point chuck. I will do that tomorrow as I am at work right now and for the next 8
                      hours or so..

Have a good weekend.

Scott...

Comment

Working...
                      X