Caution: Do Not Play with Cam Chain Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caution: Do Not Play with Cam Chain Tensioner

Hi Guys. I apologize in advance for asking such a stupid new guy question. After getting my new to me GS850G and removing the carbs for a good cleaning, (hasn't run since 95), I was wondering what the cam tensioner wheel was. This was of course prior to reading the owners manual. After flicking it back and forth a few times, I read the manual and found the strongly worded warning against doing so. Have I really screwed the pooch, or is it a big deal with the engine shut off? Thanks for your help. Let the ridicule begin....

reset it and put it back...

no harm done, as long as you did not crank the engine, be it forward or backward

Comment

Phew

Thank you Sensei.

Comment

have a look here as well

Comment

I have often grabbed the cam chain tensioner wheel and loosened it by a half turn or so, then let it go and let the spring set the tension.

In my younger days, like way back in '79 when I had my '78 GS1000E I actually did the above same thing with the engine running. It got a little noisier, but no ill effects. That bike just ran to spite me I guess.
          Of course now I'm a little wiser and allot older, I don't do that stuff now.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
          X