Couple of engine related ??? 1978 gs750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of engine related ??? 1978 gs750e

I have a 1978 Gs 750e...4-1 exhaust, and pods...

1>>Trying to get these screws loose on the carb boots, any tips for this?

2>>I have the cam cover off, plugs and cables free...do I need to remove cam chain to switch shims?

3>>I was having troubles getting bike on a stand with the 4-1 running under the frame of the bike, so I removed it, and have polished it to put back, are the rings/seals what I am seeing in the side of the cylinder head ports, and should I be concerned with the carbon I can see from the ports (valves etc)??? pics attached...
    thanks...

Here is cylinder #4

Comment

And cylinder #1, as you can see, its pretty loaded with carbon, I am concerned that it has burned rings, pistons, cylinder walls etc...
      Sorry the pics turned for some reason...

Comment

I was really surprised at how easy the bolts came off the exhaust, thought for sure I was going to have a fight there...

I also have some seeping at the head gasket, easier to just rebuild the entire gasket set?
        I have never tackled anything this involved, but am ready to do what I can to get this bike back on the road...
        Any help would be great, and look forward to hearing back

Comment

Everybody uses an impact driver for the tough to get screws that are prone to stripping. I have one you can use. I live about a half hour east of you.
          I have a 16 valve, I do not have shims,so I do not have to remove the chain to adjust my valves. My 550 does have shims but I have not performed this yet. Go to Bikecliffs site and there is a valve adjustment tutorial. Very easy, with pictures.
          Every exhaust/ports have carbon. Since you are going to do a valve adjustment, you might think about replacing your valves seals. Another easy repair but you will have to decide how far you are going to go.
          If you have leaking gaskets now, you can do the valve adjustment and re torque the head nuts and see how that goes. Otherwise, you will end up tearing the engine down to the base gasket ....and then, since you are THAT far, you may consider new rings and on and on and on. LOL
          The valve adjustment and re torque should be fine.

Comment

I think the seals for the headers are jammed in the ports in the heads...
            I was trying to pry them out, just trying not to scratch the head...I think they have been in since the bike was original...at least they look it...
            Also, I will look into valve seals, and definately the carb boots, and proper shims...I measured them all with a .003mm and all the clearances are tighter than that except #1...it was at .004mm, (.003 went under, .005 didn't)
            I am headed out to Krol Cycles in Garfield, they have shims, shim tool, and other needs, carb boots, valve seals etc...hope I can at least get everything ordered for quick turn around...
            It was really nice to get the exhaust apart and cleaned, the oil seepage was burned to the headers in spots...came right off with polish...
            Thanks for the help Loud et!

Comment

Got the shim tool ordered, then I can see what sizes are in there, and make changes...
              Does anyone know what the stock size is for the 1978 Gs 750e?
              I thought I saw .270mm somewhere, just curious to see if thats what I will find in there...
              Is there a tool prefered, or suggested for removing the old header seals?

Comment

Originally posted by havoK View Post
                Got the shim tool ordered, then I can see what sizes are in there, and make changes...
                Does anyone know what the stock size is for the 1978 Gs 750e?
                I thought I saw .270mm somewhere, just curious to see if thats what I will find in there...
                Is there a tool prefered, or suggested for removing the old header seals?
                The shims you need will depend on what you have in place. You don't need to remove the cam chain for this.

To get those exhaust gaskets out (and you need to do this), I have had good luck with an angled pick. Auto Zone sells a set of 4 picks (straight, hooked, right angle and soft angle) for about $10. They have proven very useful for carbs and other tasks. I use the right angle pick to grab the exhaust gasket and pull it out.

Comment

As a cheaper alternative, if you have a Harbor Freight near you they are $2: Harbor Freight Pick Set

Comment

I like those picks, will have to find those, thanks all
                    I got a complete gasket rebuild kit ($80) for this project, and it has all the seals, just need the old ones out...they look like they have about 30k on them
                    Was looking through Bike Cliff's tutorial, will be printing and doing soon, will let you know on progress
                    thanks again

Comment

BassCliff's site is the go to for instruction

Did you download a factory service manual from there yet?

I only ask because a lot of the answers to your original questions are found there
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I like those picks, will have to find those, thanks all
                        I got a complete gasket rebuild kit ($80) for this project, and it has all the seals, just need the old ones out...they look like they have about 30k on them
                        Was looking through Bike Cliff's tutorial, will be printing and doing soon, will let you know on progress
                        thanks again
                        $80? Is that, by chance, an Athena gasket set?

You should consider using OEM gaskets, at least for the base and head gaskets. OEM gaskets are pricey, but the Athena gaskets are notorious for failing.

Comment

It is the Athena kit...
                          I only plan on changing the cam gasket, header seals, and the breather gasket...the head gasket etc I am going to try tightening the head bolts...
                          at least to get a few months till winter...
                          I plan on having a shop nearby doing a rewire to the bike this winter anyway...I am no good with electrical... this bike needs a new harness I think, its been patched too many times...

Comment

I plan on having a shop nearby doing a rewire to the bike this winter anyway...I am no good with electrical... this bike needs a new harness I think, its been patched too many times...
                            You can still buy a new harness:

$170, probably way cheaper than having one made by a shop.

Comment

Odering this today, thanks Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X