i'm checking my valve clearences and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm checking my valve clearences and...

... can't believe how tight most of them are! No wonder the bike sounds funny when I'm trying to start it. My feeler gauge doesn't go below .05 MM but I'm pretty sure that 4 of the cam lobes are in constant contact with the shim.

I am going to list my measurements and if you guys have any insight for me about this weird situation I would be happy to hear it. Next step is to measure each shim and then find a replacement that makes up the difference to what the spec should be.

|Cylinder 1 | Cylinder 2 | Cylinder 3 | Cylinder 4|
    |... >.05 . ...| ... >.05 ....| ... >.05 ....|.... .13 ... ..|
    |... >.05 . ...| . . . .33 ....| .. . .35 ....|... .05 . .. ..|

I'm going to have find that motion pro Valve Shim depressor tool on ebay and buy it. I can't buy it from their online store unfortunately as they don't ship to Canada.

I can't really depress the thing effectively with anything I have in the shop here so I can't measure the shims today as I can't get them out.

Comment

Have you seen this link- very popular

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Have you seen this link- very popular

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ol_zip_tie.pdf
        That's amazing. Whoever had this brainchild of a method is an absolute genius. Thanks for pointing me here. You just saved me a long wait

Comment

You also need to invest in some new feelers. That .05 mm feeler that is your smallest, is right in the middle of the range, so you don't really know what you have.

Even if you have to use an INCH set , most of them will go down to .0015", which is .038 mm, much closer than your .05.

Since you are in the process, I invite you to look in my sig.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've added now the corresponding shims. I think whats happened is that I've mixed up a few of these, but either way some of them are definitely out of spec.

|Cylinder 1 | Cylinder 2 | Cylinder 3 | Cylinder 4|
            >.05/2.75 .....>.05/3.10 ..| . >.05/2.94.|. .13/2.70 ... |
            >.05/2.98 . | . .33/2.44 ....| ...35/2.69 ... .05/2.80 ..|

Comment

Those .33 and .35 readings don't seem right unless you bent some valves. Better go check them again.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Shim sizes are also unusually large, too.

By the way, shim sizes are in .05mm increments, so your 2.94 is probably a 2.95, your 2.44 is a 2.45 and your 2.69 is a 2.79. There are some factory "X" shims that are half-sizes. Your 2.98 might be one of them, and would have a 2.95x printed on it. It should measure 2.975, so it's easy enough to read 2.98 on your gauge.

By moving that 2.70 from IN3 to IN2 and putting a 3.00 in IN3, your clearances will be good for those two. You will need a 2.75 for EX4.

You will need to get some proper feelers to measure the rest of them properly to see what else you might need.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by bottobot View Post
                  ... can't believe how tight most of them are! No wonder the bike sounds funny when I'm trying to start it.
                  This is how they usually wear, the clearances get tighter and tighter most of the time. The results you have are very common when the valve adjustments have been neglected.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                  X