80 750 to 1100 conversion questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 750 to 1100 conversion questions

Hello all, I am going to look at a very nice 80 gs750e next week, only issue is, according to the seller, the engine is siezed. I have no problem with that as I have a solid 750e sitting in my garage that I wil just transplant the bodywork onto for now. So, the questions are: does anyone make a 7 to 11 conversion "kit"? What all will I need? I am assuming some things here, mainly that I will need a set of 1100 jugs, pistons, complete head and cams, new cam chain, gaskets etc. Are there differences in head size/shape that will change frame clearance? Are there any threads here that show what/how to do this? I did a couple searches but came up dry. Any help would be appreciated.

To start with, you would need a complete 1100 engine.

Eric

Comment

For some reason I thought the only difference between the 750 in the 1100 in those years was the bore. I figure a complete engine would be the cheaper way to go anyway

Comment

nope. A complete Motor swap will be needed if you want liter. Think biggest you can get out of a 750 is 850, maybe 900... Someone chime in on that.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Not sure I would want a 1100 on a 750 bottom end. the 750 is friction bearing and the 1100 is roller bearing (80-81s).
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Not so much worried about that, sounds like it isn't an issue anyway. When the time comes I will go looking for an 1100 motor to transplant.

Comment

So what I'm hearing is the similar year 1100 motor is a bolt in? Sounds almost to good to be true.

Comment

They should be, from what I understand after some more research, the motors have only internal differences so it should be a straight across swap. If I am wrong(which isn't unusual) someone will be along to point us in the right direction.

Comment

You'll need 1100 carbs if you want the thing to play as an 1100. They'll need the front part of an 1100 airbox. And the forks are a bit spindly for all that extra oomph you'll get. And the swinging arm is a bit weak - nearly the same as the 8 valve 1000 so not a killer deal but still less than I would want.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I just read that the only issue with the 1100 in the 750 frame is the bottom mounting bracket under the crank doesn't line up so a new bracket needs to be fabbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdnpt1 View Post
                      I just read that the only issue with the 1100 in the 750 frame is the bottom mounting bracket under the crank doesn't line up so a new bracket needs to be fabbed.
                      Yup, thats the only mount that doesn't line up. Some guys run without it. When I did my swap I already had pods, so no airbox issues, and my V&H header fit fine. The electrical connections are mostly the same.
                      The 1100 has a much longer stroke and the bore is only 5mm bigger than the 750. That makes the 1100 a super torque monster compared to the 750.
                      I also swapped the front end and rear swinger over to help cope with the extra torque.

Comment

Working...
                      X