1000 top end on a 850 bottom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000 top end on a 850 bottom?

Ok heres the deal, i like my 81' 850 a bunch and she runs great, but at some point id like to get a hitch for it and tow a trailer. im sure it has plenty of power to do so, but i have the internals and top end of a 78' 1000 kicking around and the desire to build a really mean shaft tow rig. The only things ive seen about a 1000 and 850 in the same thread is they have different wrist pin sizes. anyone have any idea if the 1000 crank will drop on? im already sure ill have to relieve the case top half for the cylinder skirts, is there anything else im overlooking?

Shaft drive GS1000 cranks will not interchange with chain drive GS1000 cranks. The primary gears are in different locations.

Comment

Find a 1000G engine to transplant.

Eric

Comment

One of my 1000G's has an 1100G motor. It is the best one to ride.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Is the 1100G engine lighter than the 1000G?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            I don;t know, but probably not. It has a bigger crank diameter.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              No.

Eric

Comment

Old thread new question;

Will the crank with rods from a chain driven gs1000 or 1100 drop in to my chain driven GS750? Cylinderblock and head is 850 so my engine might be a 850 unit but the 750 and 850 is basically the same right?
                I am aware of the difference in wrist pin diameter between the 7-850 and 1liter engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
                  Old thread new question;

Will the crank with rods from a chain driven gs1000 or 1100 drop in to my chain driven GS750? Cylinderblock and head is 850 so my engine might be a 850 unit but the 750 and 850 is basically the same right?
                  I am aware of the difference in wrist pin diameter between the 7-850 and 1liter engines.
                  IMO no. The 1000 has a longer stroke than the 750/850, so you'd also need to use a 1000 block and head. Don't think the studs or oil feeds line up.

Easier to O/B the standard motor. If you can get the +3mm O/S 850 piston and ring kit that'll give you 914cc if memory serves correct. Get some 73mm pistons made up and your at the yoshi 944cc range.

Comment

If swapping the crank I would also use the cylinder block and head. Plenty of parts motors around here, just no complete...

The reason I'm asking is because I have the engine out because I need to change both the head gasket and the cylinder gasket 'cause they're sweating.
                    So I thought why not add a little horsepower at the same time. Was originally thinking new high comp pistons but then came the 1000cc idea...

How much can you bore out an 850 block? Is it sleaved? Do I need to bore out the block and install new sleaves or do I bore out the original sleaves if there are any?

Might be cheaper to do an engine swap, if I could find a 1000 or 1100 engine...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
                      If swapping the crank I would also use the cylinder block and head. Plenty of parts motors around here, just no complete...

The reason I'm asking is because I have the engine out because I need to change both the head gasket and the cylinder gasket 'cause they're sweating.
                      So I thought why not add a little horsepower at the same time. Was originally thinking new high comp pistons but then came the 1000cc idea...

How much can you bore out an 850 block? Is it sleaved? Do I need to bore out the block and install new sleaves or do I bore out the original sleaves if there are any?

Might be cheaper to do an engine swap, if I could find a 1000 or 1100 engine...
                      Straight engine swop is cheaper option, but then you loose the kickstart. I've heard of people going to 75mm and I'd imagine new sleeves would be a good idea.

You need to think about what you want to spend and what type of engine you want. The 1000 has more torque due to longer stroke, but a 944 will be more revvy. A more racey type of motor.

Comment

If I read this thread right, the 1000G and 1100G motor is a simple bolt in to a GS850 frame? Anything else that needs to be changed out?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          If I read this thread right, the 1000G and 1100G motor is a simple bolt in to a GS850 frame? Anything else that needs to be changed out?
                          Thats what I read somewhere else here. As long as you swap a chaindrive 8v engine for another it should bolt in.

Comment

Working...
                          X