video- any idea on noise? thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

video- any idea on noise? thanks

hey there just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone, 1978 gs1000,an intermittent ticking every 5 seconds or so while idleing at 1000. any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
    just wondering what the tapping might be , its idleing at 1000 rpm

Welcome to the site, davis.
    Sounds like a loose cam chain to me.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Sounds like your cam chain. May want to consider servicing the cc tensioner. Does your bike use an automatic or manual tensioner? When you adjusted the valves (you have adjusted them ?) did you happen to inspect the chain and the guides for wear.

Comment

hmm ill look into it, just bought the bike last month. Havn't looked into the motor yet, just changed fluids,plugs,cleaned bowls,tank,jets. Have it running well and responsive. Just wasn't sure about the noise and seriousness of the problem. Definetly appreciate your quick responses, ill let you know how it goes.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Look on bikecliff's site, there is an easy to follow tutorial on tensioner rebuild

Comment

Valve clearances should be pretty high up on the to do list. Out of spec valves can cause your engine to run poorly. Its also a good time to inspect the cam chain, guides, tensioner and cams while you have the cover off.

Comment

thanks matt and almarconi, I'll put valve adjustment on the top of my list along with looking into the cc tensioner, I hope theres enough room to do these with motor still in bike?

Comment

Hi Davis,

Not a problem for anyone with the digit proportions of ET.

Glad to help
                Richard

Comment

Valve adjustment and cc tensioner service can both be done with the engine in the bike. Basscliff should have a guide for valve adjustment on an 8 valve engine. I believe your engine used shim over bucket valves so servicing the valves is not that bad. Steve has a spread sheet that he will email to you that will help keep track of your clearances. There is also a shim club on this board if you find you need shims. Sometimes you can swap the shims around and get the proper valve clearance.

Comment

That noise is what we call "cam walk". The best thing you can do is ... get used to it.

The lateral thrust bearing surfaces on the cams have worn just a bit, allowing the cams to "walk" sideways just a bit. The noise goes away over 1000 RPM or so because the crank is pulling harder on the cam chain, forcing back to center. One of our members has successfully done some machine work and made some spacers to take up the slack (after machining the cams to accept them), but that is way beyond the capabilities of mere mortals.

My wife's bike sounded about like that when we got it over 7 years ago, it still sounds like that today. It does not get any better, but it doesn't get any worse, either.

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                    Steve has a spread sheet that he will email to you that will help keep track of your clearances.
                    Yep, information is down there.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You can hear those motors coming a mile away.
                      If you ever have a GS riding behind you, it sounds like a chainsaw spinning like 6,000rpms, except no motor sound. lol

They scratch,swirl and clunk a lot. They don't exactly have predictable "motor sounds", ha.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                        If you ever have a GS riding behind you, it sounds like a chainsaw spinning like 6,000rpms, except no motor sound.
                        Yeah, but most of that sound is actually the chain.

Shafties don't have that sound, so you can't hear them approaching from behind.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks everyone, just talked to a neighbor who has a lot of experience with these bikes and re iterated much of what you all have let me know. I cant tell you how much I appreciate this forum and all of the members who make it so resourceful.Thanks

Comment

My GS650E has a very similar sound at idle, Since i have put a new topend set of gasket, the sound is gone. I think it was related to chain tensionner.
                            Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                            X