No announcement yet.

82-83 1100E Crankshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your very first thread on GSR, there's some engine numbers there that tell you (if indeed they're correct) that would let you know if you have the welded crank or not, posts 26-29.
    I do believe you told me you have that big bore kit installed, surely you might just need that welded crank, or hold back on the throttle.

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
      Check your very first thread on GSR, there's some engine numbers there that tell you (if indeed they're correct) that would let you know if you have the welded crank or not, posts 26-29.
      I do believe you told me you have that big bore kit installed, surely you might just need that welded crank, or hold back on the throttle.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=197297
      well I just checked the number on my engine which is 145147 so it looks like I have the pressed crank great, something for me to worry about every time I twist the throttle. lol

Comment

Originally posted by evh View Post
        well I just checked the number on my engine which is 145147 so it looks like I have the pressed crank great, something for me to worry about every time I twist the throttle. lol
        That's a bad combination, big bore kit and pressed crank. Your bike had alot of upgrades and stuff, maybe you can check with the prior owner and see if he upgraded the crank.
        sigpic
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          That's a bad combination, big bore kit and pressed crank. Your bike had alot of upgrades and stuff, maybe you can check with the prior owner and see if he upgraded the crank.
          I'll have to get ahold of him somehow if possible, I don't know if I still have his number... I know this is going to be in the back of my mind now.. I'm obsessive when it comes to engine related stuff..

Thanks again for all the info!

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
            I've also only seen one, unfortunately it was mine.
            And mine was #2 . Less than 2k miles and just going from 3rd to 4th @ about 5k rpm. It took Suzuki over a month to get and install a new crank. Painful for a guy with a new bike.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              And mine was #2 . Less than 2k miles and just going from 3rd to 4th @ about 5k rpm. It took Suzuki over a month to get and install a new crank. Painful for a guy with a new bike.
              what exactly happened when the crank let go? Did it lock up and jam or window itself? or did the engine keep running but just vibrate badly? I'm not worried about dissasembling the engine and splitting the cases.. I do this for a living.. I just haven't done a GS1100 engine before.. I work on dirtbikes mainly and ATVs and some streetbikes engines.. I've taken apart some twins and a honda 4 cyl so the GS can't be much worse..

Comment

what exactly happened when the crank let go?
                Mine just ran poorly. I drove it to the closest Suzi shop I knew of. 15 miles. 2 guys, a very small showroom and some parts. The mech was a dead ringer for Geddy Lee .
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Mine just ran poorly. I drove it to the closest Suzi shop I knew of. 15 miles. 2 guys, a very small showroom and some parts. The mech was a dead ringer for Geddy Lee .
                  Bet that took some really good troubleshooting!
                  sigpic
                  Steve

Comment

Just sold one of my rebuilt '83 GS1100 bikes and all the wanted was the engine so that told me how valuable they are to the racer boyz.

Comment

To put it in its proper perspective, if you think about how many cranks actually failed compared to how many were produced, it has to be way less than 1% of the total.

And if they "twist", it's rarely a catastrophic event where the crank is breaking apart and "grenading" your engine. If it twists it will probably just create an out of balance condition and a resulting vibration.

Odds are that you will never suffer any twisted crank problems. Like Terry said, you are more likely to suffer some kind of rotor-taper problem with the small taper crank than anything else.

On the grand scale of possible failures, I'd say you are far more likely to be stranded somewhere (alone, out in the boonies and at night!!) with some kind of electrical failure for which the GS is notorious than a crank problem. And if you did ever twist a crank somehow, chances are that you could always limp it home - unlike some of those notorious electrical problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Homie View Post
                        To put it in its proper perspective, if you think about how many cranks actually failed compared to how many were produced, it has to be way less than 1% of the total.

And if they "twist", it's rarely a catastrophic event where the crank is breaking apart and "grenading" your engine. If it twists it will probably just create an out of balance condition and a resulting vibration.

Odds are that you will never suffer any twisted crank problems. Like Terry said, you are more likely to suffer some kind of rotor-taper problem with the small taper crank than anything else.

On the grand scale of possible failures, I'd say you are far more likely to be stranded somewhere (alone, out in the boonies and at night!!) with some kind of electrical failure for which the GS is notorious than a crank problem. And if you did ever twist a crank somehow, chances are that you could always limp it home - unlike some of those notorious electrical problems.
                        He has a big bore kit in his engine.
                        sigpic
                        Steve

Comment

Mainly it comes from increasing available traction, then seeing how hard you can leave. The motorcycle is driven from one side of the crank, and the rest of the crank is trying to get ahead of the other end.

Many bikes are running with mildly twisted cranks.

You can check if your crank is twisted without disassembling the engine.
                          Speed Merchant
                          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

you're absolutely right. The failure rate is very low.. My bike gets brought up in the redline at least a couple times every time it's brought out.. I usually just baby it around but I like to twist the throttle a couple times, I usually do a 1-2nd gear pull then let off.. sometimes a 2-3rd.. I've had it going 210km/h and she wanted to keep climbing but I chickened out.. So far I have nothing bad to say about it.. For an old bike it runs and looks great.

Comment

If it twists it will probably just create an out of balance condition and a resulting vibration.
                              BTDT

you are more likely to suffer some kind of rotor-taper problem with the small taper crank than anything else.
                              BTDT

I'd say you are far more likely to be stranded somewhere (alone, out in the boonies and at night!!) with some kind of electrical failure for which the GS is notorious than a crank problem.
                              BTDT

And if you did ever twist a crank somehow, chances are that you could always limp it home
                              and BTDT too.....
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

lol funny.. Geddy Lee is from the area I live in.. One of the best Canadian bands ever! If not the best!

Comment

Working...
                                X