No announcement yet.

transmission grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The front one should have 2.5-4.5 INCH lbs of rotational preload, the output one should have 3.5-6 INCH lbs of rotational preload. This is how much torque it should take to spin the assembly. It should not spin "freely". It should turn smoothly. If it spins "freely" it needs shim adjustment inside it. Loss of this preload inhibits the shaft from running true.

DUDE, download a factory manual from cliff's site, go to the shaft drive section and study it a bit.

Good Luck

Comment

ran out of daylight yesterday, can't touch it again till this weekend.

bicycling to work erry day till then, legs are not prepared

edit: i want to mention the repair if anyone finds this in search, but i also don't want to bump an old thread, so, here it is:

the issue turned out to be a broken shaft in the final drive. three more bolts off and there it was. replaced the whole final drive for $35 from ebay.

THE THING I DIDN'T MENTION IN OP, was that about two weeks before the grinding noise started, i low-sided turning on a slick road. dropped it right on the final drive, didn't think anything of it at the time because i stood it up and it ran for two more weeks. whoops. also, this was turning onto florida blvd in downtown baton rouge, lucky i go to work at the crack of dawn or i'd been run't over't.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2014, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X