Clutch basket drive gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch basket drive gear

I just picked up a used GS1000 rebuilt and welded basket and I noticed the drive gear has some play in it, is that normal?

no its not, shouldnt have any play. sounds like the guy rebuilt it with new springs and had it welded up. now the springs are tired and allowing play, he has decided to sell it rather than go to the trouble of rebuilding it again
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The springs are tight, its the drive (ring) gear that has some play in it.
      If you hold you thumbs on the backing plate and your fingers on the drive gear on the other side you and rock the backing plate ever so slightly.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM.

Comment

When you build a basket it has to be done in a press to compress the wave washer between the gear & backing plate. If not, this is what happens. I would guess someone built that basket without compressing the wave washer & if that's the case, I would NOT use the basket.
        Ray.

Comment

I am with Ray on this. We get people wanting to buy just the kits because "they have a buddy who can weld". We ask them if they have a fixture to compress the assembly, and they didn't even know you had to do that.
          Speed Merchant
          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
            I am with Ray on this. We get people wanting to buy just the kits because "they have a buddy who can weld". We ask them if they have a fixture to compress the assembly, and they didn't even know you had to do that.
            That is a no brainer to me.
            I use three c-clamps on the ones I have done and tighten the snot out of them. On the last one I did, the three collars were a very tight fit on the rivets, held them in nice. The backing plate fits over them easily, once together I give them a good smack with a punch and hammer to make sure they havent moved. No problems, still feels nice and tight.

Comment

Working...
            X