Any Hints For Removing a Stuck Piston Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Hints For Removing a Stuck Piston Ring

Trying to remove the top piston ring from a piston and it won't budge. The bike sat for several years and there was some rust in the cylinders. I was able to free the other rings by soaking in mixture of kerosene and ATF. They were pretty rusty. Any tricks or tips for getting the top ring out. I am going to replace all the rings but would like to reuse the piston. I have several used pistons available but would prefer to use the original ones if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Try heating the piston with a map torch a few times letting it cool ..Hose the piston down with PB Blaster when its warm .. The aluminum will (should) expand off the ring ... Dont melt the piston and BP blast can catch fire too....I've used a 'hot plate' too to do this too...

Comment

If the rings are stuck as bad as you say then the ring lands are probably no good and it would be better to replace the pistons as well.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Have you tried to clean gently round with a wire brush first then soaking in kero/plus gas (like you say) then you can gently tap with the plastic handle of a screw driver and work your way round till you find a bit that moves and just keep worrying at it till it springs, or you could try gentle heat and cooling a few cycles should produce results. plenty of penetrating fluid.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Find the end gap and hit it with a small screwdriver -break the ring Just keep tapping it

Comment

Try and tap it inwards all the way round.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              Find the end gap and hit it with a small screwdriver -break the ring Just keep tapping it
              This. After a good long soak in carb dip to loosen the carbon.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If your gonna do new rings, I would get it hot as i could with a propane torch and then drop it in a can of used motor oil for a while. Heat will crack the carbon loose and the oil will soak in and help lube it for removal.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Soak it in molasses. Stuff is magic...
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic
                  1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Well, I finally got the rings loose. After soaking in the kerosene/ATF overnight, I boiled them in a pot of water for about 30 minutes. I was able to use a small screwdriver blade and a hammer to tap the rings apart. Once I got the ring moving I was able to remove it. There are a couple small scratches next to the ring land but I should be able to dress them with a scotch brite or a small file.
                    I appreciate all the suggestions. This is my first splitting the cases (replacing the transmission) motor overhaul and I am really enjoying it . I can see why it would cost a small fortune for a shop to perform this service. So many parts to clean, measure and re-clean. It is very time consuming.

Comment

Glad it worked out. My concern was that a gouge could occur on a ring land, hampering sealing and allowing blowby.
                      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

My concern was that a gouge could occur on a ring land, hampering sealing and allowing blowby.
                        I have several used pistons that I can install if I can't smooth out the scratches. Was really trying to keep the original pistons in the bores.

Comment

Working...
                        X