Oil light on with oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil light on with oil

The oil light on my 1982 gs1100 is on but it is full of oil just changed it with 4 quarts of Quaker state convential is it a sensor or what. Any comments our appreciated thanks

Could be a wire shorting out as well.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Quaker state auto oil?? what weight? As I recall the oil pressure switch is tied into the kickstand warning light system- someone will know for sure.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        Could be a wire shorting out as well.
        +1. Try disconecting the wire at the engine end if it comes on still the wire is trapped/shorting.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost007 View Post
          The oil light on my 1982 gs1100 is on but it is full of oil just changed it with 4 quarts of Quaker state convential is it a sensor or what. Any comments our appreciated thanks
          Umm what type of Quaker state oil? If it is just conventional oil, might wanna rethink your oil for the bike. As for the oil pressure light, my sensor on the oil filter cover had shorted out (was leaking anyways), that and I found where the sensor cover and pinched the wire some.

Oh yeah post your location and your bike for us. It will help us and others with future problems or questions you might have.
          Last edited by mrbill5491; 09-22-2012, 07:20 PM.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

+2 on the oil pressure sensor wire shorting out.
            How it works is, the light is supplied with a constant positive voltage and the wire from the sender suppies the earth, when the oil pressure comes up, the sender unit breaks the earth connection, putting the light out.
            If the wire is pinched or frayed through somewhere and earthing against the motor or frame, you will have a constant earth and the light will stay on.

Lets start a new oil thread, Lets start a new oil thread........
            Phaaaaa, Jennifer's internals have been splashing around in the same motor car oil I put in my motor cars, for thirty years, and she has gone the equivalent distance from here to the moon.
            I know the folk here like Rotella Diesel oil.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
              +1. Try disconecting the wire at the engine end if it comes on still the wire is trapped/shorting.
              And it should come on (if it is off) when you ground it to the frame/engine.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                As I recall the oil pressure switch is tied into the kickstand warning light system- someone will know for sure.
                Well, ... sort of.

If the side stand is down, the side stand light will turn on.

If the oil pressure is low, the oil pressure light AND the side stand light will come on.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So Steve, what you are saying is, a dippy side stand switch will not cause the oil light to come on, as it only takes it's earth from the sender, however the side stand light will take its earth from either the side stand switch or the oil pressure sender, so either one completing the circuit will illuminate the side stand light?
                  Obviously if the circuit is completed via the pressure sender unit, both lights will illuminate.

Comment

Something like that. If you look at a wiring diagram carefully, you will see a diode between the sidestand switch and the oil pressure switch.

I think the purpose was to turn on TWO lights to REALLY attract your attention to a low-oil situation.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When you changed the oil did you also remove the sump pan ? A cause for the oil light with GS Suzi's can be the "O-ring" on the sump post has moved ( happens when the sump pan is removed to clean the oil pick-up screen at the 6,000 mile inspection and clean) the oil pressure drops because the oil system is no longer sealed causing the oil light to come on. The oil light is a pressure indicator not a level indicator on these models. Hope this helps, cheers.
                      Shin-Ken 1074
                      1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Working...
                      X