Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange shift problems in 2d gear

Fresh oil in bike as of a month ago.

Not sure what to make of these symptoms. Have done nothing to the clutch or tranny, and it has never given me any problems.

While riding this afternoon, I noticed a few odd issues.

When shifting down through the gears approaching a light, it would sometimes feel like the shifter was falling away. Similar to a rear brake going soft, but on the shift side. This seemed to happen in second, and once I worked the clutch a few times trying to roll forward on second, it would free up and drop into neutral or first again.

Then, it began to fight going up beyond third gear. I was in the city and not really going fast enough for 4th, but I was trying to cycle the gears to feel out the transmission after the weird thing in second gear.

Pulled into a coffee shop and had some trouble getting into neutral. While I drank a cuppa, I worked through the gears with engine off and bike on center stand. Had to rock the back wheel to keep shifting up, but things seemed ok. Rode home without trouble, maybe one more "dangling second gear" event.

Back home, she shifts up and down on the center stand no problem.

Is this a harbinger of transmission failure and rebuild?

What other things might cause this?

These hiccups were annoying, but not horrible. What are more serious danger signs?
Working...
X