Starter clutch gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's what I mean:

I feel like such an idiot asking how you screw in a bolt haha. I've been working on mechanical stuff for years.

Comment

go to a hardware store and get the correct size bolt.
      if it a little short add a spacer between the new bolt and crank end.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
        go to a hardware store and get the correct size bolt.
        if it a little short add a spacer between the new bolt and crank end.
        All the hardware stores around me only go up to 12mm. That's why I ordered this tool.

Comment

lowes maybe?
          look around on your bike for the same size bolt and borrow it for a few minutes.
          on the GS1000's i have used the swingarm pivot bolt as a pusher before.
          imagine your on a deserted island...lol
          now go fix it!

Comment

Yep... its too big... the 1100 is very different. Off to the hardware store you go...
            Curt
            sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

motor mount bolt?
              shock bolt?
              just look around on your bike...you might be surprised!

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                motor mount bolt?
                shock bolt?
                just look around on your bike...you might be surprised!
                Except for rear axle bolt ( too short thread), I don't see anything. He's in Rhode Island, plenty of industrial suppliers, if hardware stores or auto parts guys have nothing. The "castle" nut on rear axle could be used as gage- I think it's the same pitch.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

got a bolt that fits. Any tips on getting the damn thing off? I screwed the bolt in as far as I could and tried holding the crank from the other side but the whole assembly just spins with a ton of torque. It wont budge. You screw the bolt in so the pulley gets drawn out right?

Comment

.......You screw the bolt in so the pulley gets drawn out right?

You screw in bolt and it hits crank end and eventually pushes rotor off the taper on crank. It requires force, as you have discovered. try putting bike in gear 3 or 4, apply rear brake (friend would be helpful) and tighten your bolt. Me, I usually tap on end of bolt (just like hammering a nail) between twisting episodes- this will jar the rotor very slightly loose and then you can tighten bolt again and tap again, etc. Of course, an impact wrench would be easier.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

if the bolt/threads isn't long enough you have to add a spacer between the bolt and the crank snout.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                        .......You screw the bolt in so the pulley gets drawn out right?

You screw in bolt and it hits crank end and eventually pushes rotor off the taper on crank. It requires force, as you have discovered. try putting bike in gear 3 or 4, apply rear brake (friend would be helpful) and tighten your bolt. Me, I usually tap on end of bolt (just like hammering a nail) between twisting episodes- this will jar the rotor very slightly loose and then you can tighten bolt again and tap again, etc. Of course, an impact wrench would be easier.
                        Tried the brake and gear trick and it still spins.

Comment

I tried holding the crank from the other side which worked for a bit but now that sides just spinning with it.

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
                            I tried holding the crank from the other side which worked for a bit but now that sides just spinning with it.
                            if you held it from the ignition side you will/have broke the timing advancer.
                            the bike in gear/hold brake never works.
                            your alt. rotor has a flat on it...use a large cresent wrench to hold the rotor from spinning.
                            the best thing to do is impact the alt. rotor pushing bolt..should pop right off.

Comment

Incase I broke the timing advancer is the part interchangeable with an 83 850?

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
                                Incase I broke the timing advancer is the part interchangeable with an 83 850?
                                Negative vibes- if you broke it you know already!
                                I doubt you can get a good grip with open end wrench on rotor flats, but it's worth trying. Check with neighbors/friends and borrow an impact wrench/ compressor setup.
                                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                                X