I'm Rotted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Rotted

Just finished a top end rebuild on my 80 1000G, put on a few hundred miles and she starts smoking badly on start up.

Got to tear it down again.

I used oem gaskets but I had an athena kit so I used the valve stem seals from it, may have been a mistake. I could take off the carbs and exhaust and have a look in too check for oil on the valve stems, should not be hard to see.

I think one of the seals may have come loose? Or maybe the seals are crap.

The compression is good and she still runs fine, so hopefully its a valve seal issue. Got to get composed again and leave it for a few days and then start in.

Did you overfill your oil or leak gas into your crankcase?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Maggoty Athena valve seals will get you every time

Comment

Chef, no such luck I'm afraid.

Jeeprusty, you have similar experience? or you know members who have eh?

Comment

I don't think the valve seals in the Athena kit are bad. The gaskets, especially the head gasket is another story.

Might look into where the smoke is coming from. Oil leak on the headers? Gas in the oil? Tach seal? Etc.

What do the plugs look like? If they are not oil-fouled, you may have a small leak that is burning off the headers or block to smoke.

Comment

Sorry to hear your bad luck. I'm going to tag along to this thread as I'm slowly putting my 80 1000G back together from a frame up and top end rebuild. I'll keep my fingers crossed for myself. Best of luck, hope it turns out easy.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I am only going on the reputation of the aftermarket stuff that gets posted here a lot.

I should think that OEM should be used where ever available.

Comment

Working...
              X