Question about 530 chain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about 530 chain.

Hello, I have a quick question about chains. Right now im getting a 18T front and a 48T rear 530 sprocket. On z1 he has the RK old stock chain, the o-ring chain only has 104 links, so i don't think it will work. Anyways, i was looking at the other chain and its a rivet style, but i don't want to buy the tool, so he said to just buy split link clip style links. Will that work?

Split links are safe so long as they are installed in the correct direction.
    I have seen them safety wired and/or a dab of sealant /adherent applied.
    Not necessary in my opinion.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Well, no chain is "rivet style". It is the master link that is either rivet style or split link clip.
      AFA the number of links, we have absolutely no idea because you don't tell us the model or year of bike, original chain size, original number of links, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Split links are safe so long as they are installed in the correct direction.
        I have seen them safety wired and/or a dab of sealant /adherent applied.
        Not necessary in my opinion.
        Steve, this is the first bike I have ever safety wired. Overkill, but just an added bit of insurance. Of course, I only have ~200k on chain drive bikes, so I may lose one someday.
        If you do go with a split link master link, be sure and purchase a spare. They are brand specific so you will want the correct one if the first one needs replacing.

Comment

Also be absolutely certain that your master link is compatible with your chain. I would be leery of using a different manufacturer link than chain.

Comment

Originally posted by NBraun View Post
            Hello, I have a quick question about chains. Right now im getting a 18T front and a 48T rear 530 sprocket. On z1 he has the RK old stock chain, the o-ring chain only has 104 links, so i don't think it will work. Anyways, i was looking at the other chain and its a rivet style, but i don't want to buy the tool, so he said to just buy split link clip style links. Will that work?
            What bike is this going on? On my 750 I ordered a 120 link chain and fitted it to the bike. Think I cut 4 links off. And I've always used the split master link, (just get the pressing tool for the link) never had one fly off on me and I do use a bit of sealant on it just to make sure.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Sorry the bike in question is a 79 gs750E. Hasa 96 link chain from the factory. So what i need to do is make aure i have the same clip libk brand as the chain and buy the pressing tool?

Comment

The master links need to be the same brand and model as the chain itself. Each manufacturer makes several different models within a particular size. They need to be the exact same model.
                If you purchase the clip-style master link you do not need the special tool.

Didn't the 750 originally come with a 630 chain?

Comment

It did, but I'm swapping it to a 530 setup.

Comment

O.K., then the link count will go up and the vendor you are purchasing the set from should know the number of links you need, which will also depend on whether you intend to stay as close to the original ratio as possible, or are choosing this opportunity to gear it up or down.

Comment

Originally posted by NBraun View Post
                      It did, but I'm swapping it to a 530 setup.

My 80 750E came stock with a 630 chain at 96 links, when I converted to the 530 set up, it was going to have to a bit longer chain and not knowing what that was going to be, I ordered a 120 link to be on the safe side. I stayed within the stock gear ration as well. I would buy the pressing tool, instructions say to use one of those and NOT vice grips. Dennis Kirk has one for $9.00.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Mrbill, do you remember the number of links your 530 chain has?

Comment

I seem to recall a fairly recent thread about accelerated wear using an even number of teeth on both the front & rear sprockets. There's also this thread, same topic:

Hello I was reading a book last night called IPT Industrial Trade Handbook - Power Transmission System. I got reading about drive chains in industrial...
                          Last edited by robertbarr; 10-19-2012, 09:28 PM.
                          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                          __________________________________________________ ______________________
                          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

530 link count

NBraun, here's a couple of pages that may help.

Z1: 630 to 530

Gearing Commander

From Z1:
                            630 chain is 3/4" pitch (think of it as 6/8"), 530 chain is 5/8" pitch - so the conversion is to divide by 5 and multiply by 6.

96 link, 630 chain converted to 530 links would be: 96/5 * 6 = 115.2

In this case, round 115.2 up to 116, 96 links of 630 chain is roughly equal to 116 links of 530 chain.

Gearing commander is very helpful too. There is a help menu if you don't want to hack around to figure out how it works.

Comment

Working...
                            X