No announcement yet.

New noises??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got into it. Sprockets don't look so bad to my very untrained eye. The tight spot occurs where theres a retaining clip on the chain that is different from all the rest. Must be something that was put there by a PO. Now that the chain is tightened is there any way to make absolutely sure my rear wheel is straight? I tried to measure from the axel to the swing arm nut but the exhaust pipes are in the way

Heres a pic of that retaining clip:

Comment

That's the master link . Personally, I'd say your chain looks worst than my 40 year old chain on my dirt bike. Take the sprocket cover off and take a pic.
      Can you see any marks on chain adjusters- just above rear axle both sides?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I can see that some of the links are binding, which means they don't rotate smoothly on the pin, or even rotate at all, that will sure foul up the works, create tight sections on your chain as it goes through it's rotation. You might be able to free it up once you lubricate it, but at this point it just might be toast.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

That chain is toast, look at all the siezed links in that pic

Take another pic of the rear sprocket teeth and the front sprocket once you get the cover off

But, be prepared to get new chain and sprockets
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by big t View Post

but, be prepared to get new chain and sprockets
            and tires.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When you fix one thing I guess you're bound to find other things that need fixin'. Got rid of the initial slapping noise, but I guess I'm gonna have to drop some loot on a new chain.
              heres a pic of the rear sprocket

and heres one of the front

Comment

Those are worn enough that they will destroy a new chain quickly.

Have you tried cleaning and lubing the chain? It may give a little more life, at least long enough to figure out what sprocket ratios you want when you buy the new ones.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Is that a 630 set up? If it is, consider doing a 530 conversion. Sprockets and chain.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yes its a 630 chain. Looking at 530 conversions and sprocket sizes and what not now, but other than just less weight on the bike what are some advantages of making the switch?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Those are worn enough that they will destroy a new chain quickly.
                      I also would like to know if my sprockets need changing now. I thought they were ok because the tips are not pointed but still squared off.... but so are the ones in jerobi's pictures.

Is there a a guide for this? Or should I just take pictures?
                      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                      80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Jerobi View Post
                        Yes its a 630 chain. Looking at 530 conversions and sprocket sizes and what not now, but other than just less weight on the bike what are some advantages of making the switch?
                        Cost of the components compared to a 630 set up, availability, you can find a 530 chain at a John Deere dealer in case of an emergency, the weight loss and you can pretty much keep your current gear ratio if you want. Call Z1 Enterprises, they will set you up with want you need. A number of members here have done the conversion, won me over in a heart beat.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                        X